EV ZLX BT

Ben Lawrence

Senior
Mar 2, 2011
Vermont
vtaudiovisual.com
Anyone get into these? I picked up a half dozen for a busy weekend and have been sending them out on speaker on stick ipod and a mic stuff. They seem to be doing the trick. I did have one amp module fail over the course of the Summer but the EV warranty process was exceptional.
I dont have much to add on the audio quality. It is acceptable for a lower end powered speaker. Has a bunch of dsp presets that I find handy. Some of the "club" presets seem to be asking a bit much of the woofer. The bluetooth feature is great to have. I think the purchase price was under 300$ which is pretty nuts.
The only issue which can also be a positive I guess is the gain knob that turns from line to mic at 12 oclock. It is nice that you do not have to switch from mic to line but if you are running a line source and crank up the input gain it is going to be screaming.
Anyhow just seeing what other folks opinions might be on these. Maybe I will do a check back after another Summer of use.

I have a pair of the 15's. Not a whole lot of bass, but the imaging is great. I sometimes run shows in stereo and the high-end is really open and transparent.

I have 4 of the older ZLX12p models without BT.. which I wouldn't have any use for anyway. These have been stone axe reliable which is really important for rentals. Mine get used with subs most times and honestly that is how they perform best, the cabs are a bit too flexable and heavy bass turns into a flabby mess real quick when they are run fullrange. That said I like how light and easy to handle they are and they have done a good job as stage monitors for live bands and even for a few bass guitarists so I'm pleased with the investment overall.

Do you have them matched up with EV subs? I am pretty deep into the JBL stuff but couldn't stomach picking up a 1/2 dozen prx 812s at around 800$ a piece. I will agree with your points about them being a nice light weight and didnt consider the cab construction on effecting the bass getting flappy but you might be right on that.

Yes I have the EV EKX18sp subs. If I'm doing a large room I use the matching EKX12p's at FOH and the ZLXs get moved to mons or delays or cocktail room depending on the needs of the event. The EKX are on par with the PRX8xx series which can get quite a bit louder and sound more controlled doing it. It's a right tool for the job type of thing.