Favorite claws/clamps for small fixtures?

TJ Cornish

Graduate
Jan 13, 2011
St. Paul, MN
I've jumped in with both feet on a large (to me anyway) batch of LED wash fixtures, and I need to work out a set of decent clamps. I own a bunch of the old iron C-clamps that are not truss friendly without some kind of protection, and they're ugly and take a wrench to tighten. I also own a bunch of light duty clamps with hand screws, but these still have the same problem of being hard on truss, and I'll presumably sell them when I sell all my PARs.

75% of the time or more I will be using these fixtures with square T-bars and directly bolting them to the bars, but I do occasionally work with truss, and so need to be able to accomodate that. I'm familiar with Light Source Mega Claws, but they're pretty expensive, and the Mini Claws are close enough in price to the megas that it's pretty silly to get the little ones. Has anyone ever tried using that style clamp on a square tube such as that on a Global Truss ST-132? It would be great if I wouldn't have to take clamps on and off my fixtures all the time.

I've also looked around and there are some lower cost ring clamps like the Global Truss Mini-360, but the wing nut looks pretty small and therefore hard on fingers.

What do you guys use on <10lb fixtures?

Re: Favorite claws/clamps for small fixtures?

The Global Truss Mini-360s. I probably have about 50 in use with zero failures. Actually, the wing nuts are fine as they are. You don't really need a ton of pressure to make these work well.

Cheese boroughs are your friend, I've always used C-clamps but have switched over to cheese boroughs since they are much easier to work with, when the techs on site have no tools.

You wouldn't spend 20 bucks to hang a $300 led fixture? For me that's like spending a fraction of the cost on a case for a piece of gear. Plus it'll protect any truss you hang it on ( no c clamp marks). Safe, Secure, Easy, no hand tools required. it's a no brainer. What does everyone here say. Buy once cry once.

Thanks for the thoughts folks! Though I would happily spend $22/fixture, or even the $26 that Mega Claws cost if that was the clearly the best answer, I'm going to give the Global Truss Mini-360s a try. I'm sure structurally it will be perfectly adequate for holding my whopping 6 lb LED fixtures, and for 1/3 the cost of the heavier/fancier clamps. My only concerns were the ease of adequately tightening the wing nut any any ergonomic issues these may have that would piss me off over time. Sounds like some folks have used these with good success. I like that the fixture mount side of the clamp is a wing nut too which will make it easy to take off when I switch to T-bar mode.

+1

But buy some spare wing nuts.
Or…

As there is actually no reason or need for the wing nut to be removed completely from the bolt...
Give the last few threads of the bolt a blow with a hammer (against an anvil or a makeshift one - a second heavier hammer...)
just enough to spoil the threads a little, thus preventing the wing nut from undoing completely and getting lost.

I have been doing this to all my clamps of this type for years and never lose a wing nut.

:)~:)~:smile:

Or…

As there is actually no reason or need for the wing nut to be removed completely from the bolt...
Give the last few threads of the bolt a blow with a hammer (against an anvil or a makeshift one - a second heavier hammer...)
just enough to spoil the threads a little, thus preventing the wing nut from undoing completely and getting lost.

I have been doing this to all my clamps of this type for years and never lose a wing nut.

I had a similar thought, but was going to try Locktite first.

I had a similar thought, but was going to try Locktite first.
The 'normal' thread locking Locktite will not cure in open air.
You would need some open air curing thick'ish glue that will actually fill the threads.
May as well use regular super-glue, thickened and accelerated with baking soda (TM...)