FBT VN2000 or RCF HD10a + 702ASii ?

Richard Penrose

Freshman
Jan 3, 2015
Hi,

I heard a quick demo of the FBT VN2000 in a showroom today and have to say this tiny system really exceeded my expectations!
At the moment I’ve been just using a single pair of Yamaha DXR15’s which have been working out surprisingly well but I no longer want to be lifting speakers weighing nearly 23kg onto stands anymore.
I would like something that can at least match the output the DXR15’s but preferably go a fraction louder with greater depth of bass. I also want something much lighter to be lifting onto stands.
From what I briefly heard from the VN2000 today I would expect this system to tick all those boxes. However, I’ve also heard good things about the RCF HD10a/702ASII system and am pretty torn between the two. Unfortunately I’m not going to be able to do a side by side comparison of both systems so am pretty torn with what to do?
I can get an ex-demo VN2000 system for around £2400 or which is over £800 off new price. Or I can get the RCF HD10a/702asII system brand new for £2200.

I plan on using this system for live music to tun 4-5 vocals, keys, bass, guitar and a small amount of miked drums.

What are your thoughts/recommendations on the FBT VN2000 and the RCF HD10’a + 702asII?

I have personally used the RCFHD10 with out a sub and it's a good sounding little box even on it's own, the FBT system looks good.
That all said it sounds like you want a somewhat rocking system based on the inputs that you mentioned, if your looking for party rocking PA system for your band I think you would disappointed with it after your first show.

Sounding good with cranked up playback music and handling a fully micd up band are two different things.

Adding a couple of real subwoofers to your DXR 15's would be the better choice.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I already have a pair of QSC KW181's that I used to use on large events but to be honest, I haven't used them for 15months! The size of events that I'm doing are much smaller and I'm no longer able to lift/carry heavy boxes due to a back injury.

I've just been using a single pair of DXR15's over the past 15 months and these have been doing a great job. I did sound in an open air amphitheater for a Jazz/Soul evening with 320 guests. I had a fully miked drum kit, 2x keys, bass (upright and electric) and 4 vocals running through the DXR15's and the resulting sound totally exceeded my expectations! I had numerous people come to me and comment on how good the sound was for the event. I even had some asking where the subs were :ROFLMAO:. Admittedly these were all seasoned session pros who had great sounding instruments/voices and really knew how to play and sing! Also, I used great sounding mics (Telefunken M80's and Sennheiser E945, for the vocals and on drums Sennheiser e604's on rack toms, Audix D6 floor tom, MXL A55 Kick Drum, AKG D40 snare, Audio Technica AT4040 x2 OH's and Rode NT55on hi-hat). The acoustics of the venue were also superb.
However, a single pair of DXR15's really delivered on this event and I'm not really going to need any more now.

Basically what I would like is a system that can at least match the performance of the DXR15's (preferably a little more depth of bass) but eliminate having to lift 23kg speakers on stands! I was extremely surprised by the FBT VN2000 when I heard it and have a feeling it will tick all the boxes. I would expect the 2x6"+1" drivers in the Ventis 206a tops + the separate 12" to give even more clarity and depth of bass compared to the DXR15's. Also the subs weigh the same as the DXR15's so I wouldn't be increasing the weight but would eliminate the heavy lift onto stands. I would look to add castors on these anyway. This means the heaviest part I'd have to carry is the Ventis 206a tops at 12kg each (which is almost half the weight of a DXR15!).

The FBT VN2000 system costs nearly £1000 more than the RCF system but I've been offered a mates rates deal on an ex-demo system for around £800-£900 less which brings it down to a similar price point to the RCF system. I've heard good things about the RCF HD10a/702ASii combo but won't be able to audition this next to the FBT VN2000. I have spoken to a couple of users who have used both the VN2000 and RCF HD10a/702as combo and they both preferred the FBT system but I'd like to hear some more user experiences if possible.