Female powercon to Male Edison Convertor

Daniel Nickleski

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago
www.soundworkspro.com
I am looking for a cost effective way to make short Female Powercon to Male Edison cables. The only legit way I currently see to do this is take a male Powercon to Male Edison cable and use a powercon coupler on the powercon side. Effective, but very costly. Has anyone come up with a good way to do this?

Re: Female powercon to Male Edison Convertor

I am looking for a cost effective way to make short Female Powercon to Male Edison cables. The only legit way I currently see to do this is take a male Powercon to Male Edison cable and use a powercon coupler on the powercon side. Effective, but very costly. Has anyone come up with a good way to do this?

I'm confused by what you're trying to do. A standard male Edison to blue Powercon plug can be cheaply made using usual SO cabling, a male Edison plug and one of these:

Neutrik NAC3FCA Powercon Cable Connector Power In Blue 092-280

What am I missing?

I'm confused by what you're trying to do. A standard male Edison to blue Powercon plug can be cheaply made using usual SO cabling, a male Edison plug and one of these:

Neutrik NAC3FCA Powercon Cable Connector Power In Blue 092-280

What am I missing?

That is a MALE powercon. I need to terminate into FEMALE powercon. The objective is to convert a powercon cable to edison so you can use wall power if needed.

I've done this kind of thing before by using a typical 4x4 box with a flat plate on top. Punch the flat plate to accept 4 of the gray PowerCON Power Out Female chassis mount connectors.
[h=1]Neutrik NAC3MPB powerCON Chassis Connector Power Out Gray[/h]
Sha-ZAM!!! You are now the proud owner of a relatively inexpensive PowerCON Quad Box. You can now use your PowerCON equipped racks on regular wall power with your regular PowerCON cables.

That is a MALE powercon. I need to terminate into FEMALE powercon. The objective is to convert a powercon cable to edison so you can use wall power if needed.

The issue is that Powercon is a 4-gender system (inlet cable, inlet panel, outlet panel, outlet cable). This was done to simplify panel mounting (inlet and outlet are compact and use the same hole patterns) and to more easily meet regulatory requirements for adapters. The downside is that it basically forces all devices to have panel mount connectors, and not input whips.

The issue is that Powercon is a 4-gender system (inlet cable, inlet panel, outlet panel, outlet cable). This was done to simplify panel mounting (inlet and outlet are compact and use the same hole patterns) and to more easily meet regulatory requirements for adapters. The downside is that it basically forces all devices to have panel mount connectors, and not input whips.

Rob, that is what I have been finding. We send out pre packaged cables for most of our concert systems and for the smaller ones like to have "whips" to convert to edison if needed. Looks like my only option is building short edison to cable mount powercon and then using the powercon coupler to mate to to the packages powercon to powercon cable. Was hoping for a cheaper solution, but guess it doesn't exist.

I've done this kind of thing before by using a typical 4x4 box with a flat plate on top. Punch the flat plate to accept 4 of the gray PowerCON Power Out Female chassis mount connectors.
[h=1]Neutrik NAC3MPB powerCON Chassis Connector Power Out Gray[/h]
Sha-ZAM!!! You are now the proud owner of a relatively inexpensive PowerCON Quad Box. You can now use your PowerCON equipped racks on regular wall power with your regular PowerCON cables.

That would work, but it involves a lot more than what is actually needed and would end up costing a pretty penny when talking about making 30 plus of them. We have been using l5/30 for years and have been sending male edison to female l5/30 whips with packages and was hoping to make a version of this, but with powercon. No such luck.

Rob, that is what I have been finding. We send out pre packaged cables for most of our concert systems and for the smaller ones like to have "whips" to convert to edison if needed. Looks like my only option is building short edison to cable mount powercon and then using the powercon coupler to mate to to the packages powercon to powercon cable. Was hoping for a cheaper solution, but guess it doesn't exist.

Why can't you just build Edison to Blu PowerCon to send out rather than an adapter thingy? The more kak you have, the more a customer will lose.

That would require way to much copper. I would need to build 2 of every cable (one just powercon and one powercon to edison).

Without mounting the PowerCon females in some kind of rated enclosure there is no way to make this Code compliant... or just built 2 sets of cables.... or a little Powercon outlet strip.

Wishing for a different, currently non-existent connector will not make it so.

Without mounting the PowerCon females in some kind of rated enclosure there is no way to make this Code compliant..

This isn't strictly code compliant, since Ipex didn't have this use in mind when they designed the parts, but it has held up well, and does the trick. There's a 1"-1/2" reducer on the other side of that PVC fitting that you can't see in the picture. A compression fitting would also be more appropriate than the L-16 pictured. I try to use a distro when using the PowerCons, but in case I have to use wall outlets, there are several of these in each kit.

BTW, Neutrik considers the panel mount PowerCons, whether they are blue or grey, to be "male". The cord connectors are female. The same goes for Speakons.

Attachments

• PowerCon.jpg
    PowerCon.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 0

This isn't strictly code compliant, since Ipex didn't have this use in mind when they designed the parts, but it has held up well, and does the trick. There's a 1"-1/2" reducer on the other side of that PVC fitting that you can't see in the picture. A compression fitting would also be more appropriate than the L-16 pictured. I try to use a distro when using the PowerCons, but in case I have to use wall outlets, there are several of these in each kit.

BTW, Neutrik considers the panel mount PowerCons, whether they are blue or grey, to be "male". The cord connectors are female. The same goes for Speakons.

Geoff this is exactly what I was looking for. Ideas on how people are doing this. I know there is no part to do this so figured someone had to have some custom built adapter. I appreciate the reply!

Daniel, can you explain, how you would go about using this, I'm trying to figure it out, but I can't
I was under the impression that blue is your power input, therefore male u ground on one end, and blue power con on the other... The white is a pass through which has a white power con to blue on the other end...and so on...
I'm trying to sort out in this scenario, if I were to plug a pass through white power con, into that end in the photo, it would make the exposed male unground live...

The Edison plugs into the wall. A gray to blue supplies power to the box. He has it correct.

When I had my bar rig, I had Edison to blue, 25', 35', and 50, two each. I had enough 25' gray-to-blue to make all my jumps, and a pair of 50' jumps for when I needed to make long runs.

For boxes, the OA Windsor are the ticket.

The Edison plugs into the wall. A gray to blue supplies power to the box. He has it correct.

When I had my bar rig, I had Edison to blue, 25', 35', and 50, two each. I had enough 25' gray-to-blue to make all my jumps, and a pair of 50' jumps for when I needed to make long runs.

For boxes, the OA Windsor are the ticket.

The picture is a bit confusing, because it doesn't show the grey to blue PowerCon cables. The quad box has a grey connector on the other side (and a neon pilot light) to feed through. The OA Windsor boxes would be ideal, but they didn't exist when I put this together.

What I wanted to avoid (as Daniel had already figured out) was carrying duplicate grey to blue, and Edison to blue cables, in the kit. Most of the time, I don't even need the Edison adapters if I can use my distro (which has grey PowerCon outputs). I keep 3 adapters in each kit, since finding more than 3 circuits anywhere is rather unlikely, and all the stage boxes, amp racks, and powered cabinets have feed through Powercons on them. I also have some L5-20 versions for theatre use.

GTD

Last edited:

Mine are even more simple than that... I just took the 12/3 cable and soldered it on to the powercon and then used heat shrink to isolate the individual conductors and then one to cover the entire rear of the assembly. The one thing is that of course this isn't correct and can be dangerous so it can't be used anywhere that morons are walking.

I have siamese powercon/signal cables and I needed to have a way to extend them.

Agree with Tim, not kosher with just heatshrink or the boot...

Why not one of these with a plate and gland on the one end, and the powercon on the other?? Wouldn't think it would be too bulky. Just have to figure out how to earth the shell in a complying way.