FYI: Ken at OA Windsor

Brian Adams

Freshman
Aug 19, 2011
Vermillion, SD
I spoke to Ken at OA Windsor today regarding an order I have with him, and that I noticed was taking a little longer than he estimated. It's not a big deal, I don't need the stuff urgently, but I gave him a call to see where he was at with it. It turns out my order is the next in line and mostly done, so it all works out in the end. I ended up having a nice extended conversation with him.

In any case, he asked me to update everyone on his situation. As many of you know, he had a quadruple bypass about 8 months ago. It was sudden, and he might not be around if they hadn't caught it when they did. He was completely out of commission for a while, but he's doing OK now. Which is good, because he's a really nice guy, and his products are excellent.

His physical recovery is going very well. He's eating better, he's lost 40lbs, and his cholesterol is down from 200+ to the mid 140's. He gets out for exercise regularly and can outwalk his friends anytime. He enjoys taking care of his animals, including cats and dogs, along with 11 falcons. He's been a falconer for over 50 years, which is an amazing thing, in my opinion.

He tells me his real struggles since the surgery have been more mental than physical. He feels great physically, but he often gets worn down mentally. He has some memory loss after the surgery, which he attributes to either a small stroke or blood loss to the brain. He believes he'll overcome that in time. He's been fighting depression as well. I'm sure the winter weather in Wyoming doesn't help with that. He has to limit the amount of work he can do each day to avoid getting frustrated and depressed, and he said it's worse when something goes wrong during a project. It seems like he really doesn't enjoy the fact that he's not operating at 100%.

He's still working though, albeit at a somewhat slower pace. He's had to (unfortunately) turn down some assembly work, but he's still doing some assembly, and still manufacturing his normal products. He asked me to let everyone know that he's sorry he's not keeping up with orders as well as he'd like, but he's doing his best. He's continually feeling better, and his memory issues are improving, so hopefully he'll be back to normal soon. I assume that as his condition improves, so will his depression. His doctors told him it takes most people anywhere from 1-3 years after this kind of surgery until they're back to normal, so hopefully he's on the lower side of that.

He wanted me to encourage anyone who wants to talk to give him a call. He apparently responds much better to calls than email, and it seems like he really enjoys a good conversation. I figure if he can't fill up his day with working, it might help him out if he heard from friends and colleagues regularly.

So feel free to give Ken a call, whether you're waiting on an order, or in need of his products or not. I'm sure he'd love to hear from his adoring fans. Or anyone who wants to talk.

http://www.oawindsor.com/ (307) 674-8228

Re: FYI: Ken at OA Windsor

its unfortunate, I had him building me 8 powercon quads for tour and spent 2 weeks trying to get a hold of him past the ship date. He told me what had happened and I ended up having a long conversation with him, seems like a great guy - I had to order from another supplier and ship overnight to make it work. I hope to order from him soon.

I haven't tried to contact him lately, but he took 3 months to cash my last check, which seemed a little unusual. He cashed it a little over a month ago though, so he was around then, at least.

Yes, you are...:eek:)

Are the rubberized-style boxes not available to buy anywhere else? I haven't looked.

Daniel Woodhead, division of Molex:

http://www.molex.com/woodhead/products/listview.jsp?query=&offset=0&npp=20&sType=z&fs=type:eek:r("multiple outlet box"||"GFCI Multiple Outlet Box"),productname:safeway&channel=Products&Lang=en-US&autoNav=1&path=cPOWERDISTRIBUTION%23%230%23%2342%7E%7Ef60%7C%7C4d756c7469706c65204f75746c657420426f78%7E%7Ef98%7C%7C31352e3041%7E%7Enf163%7C%7C506f727461626c65&Itemlist=

Legrand too:

http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/boxes/portable-outlet/1-gang/3059fbk.aspx

Daniel Woodhead, division of Molex:

http://www.molex.com/woodhead/products/listview.jsp?query=&offset=0&npp=20&sType=z&fs=type:eek:r("multiple outlet box"||"GFCI Multiple Outlet Box"),productname:safeway&channel=Products&Lang=en-US&autoNav=1&path=cPOWERDISTRIBUTION%23%230%23%2342%7E%7Ef60%7C%7C4d756c7469706c65204f75746c657420426f78%7E%7Ef98%7C%7C31352e3041%7E%7Enf163%7C%7C506f727461626c65&Itemlist=

Legrand too:

http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/boxes/portable-outlet/1-gang/3059fbk.aspx

I'm sure Kevin will find this helpful, although he's pretty stressed for time on this project and someone will have to help build the boxes (looking around the office, whistling softly...:eek:))

Thanx, John.

Update on Ken,
He's not doing well. In fact, he likely won't be around much longer.

I received a call from Jim (a longtime friend of Ken's), who was going through messages on Ken's answering machine. Jim began to explain that Ken wouldn't be filling any orders and that OA Windsor, at least in the near future, would be closed. I could tell that Jim was having a hard time (heavy heart), so we talked for a bit about his relationship with Ken and Ken's health issues (similar to Mad Cow Disease) which is believed to be terminal. I then asked Jim if I could pray with him, and did so.

I have enjoyed talking with Ken over the years even more than using his products (which are top notch). I know, I will miss Ken and I expect much of our industry will, as well.

KevinH.

Update on Ken,
He's not doing well. In fact, he likely won't be around much longer.

I received a call from Jim (a longtime friend of Ken's), who was going through messages on Ken's answering machine. Jim began to explain that Ken wouldn't be filling any orders and that OA Windsor, at least in the near future, would be closed. I could tell that Jim was having a hard time (heavy heart), so we talked for a bit about his relationship with Ken and Ken's health issues (similar to Mad Cow Disease) which is believed to be terminal. I then asked Jim if I could pray with him, and did so.

I have enjoyed talking with Ken over the years even more than using his products (which are top notch). I know, I will miss Ken and I expect much of our industry will, as well.

KevinH.

Terrible news. I knew Ken had some health problems but didn't realized their extent.

His place in Wyoming has a gorgeous view of mountains and beautiful sunsets. I hope he can be comfortable to enjoy them.