Good powered monitors?

Jim King

Freshman
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
ssrrentals.com
I'm starting to try to figure out what to look at in order to replace my Clair 12am monitor setup. They're great sounding, but its a 30 year old design, heavy, and uses special cables... i'd like to switch to something more deployable and powered, but not lose the quality. I feel like after 30 years, something should exist that sounds as good, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Note that I use QSC k10 speakers for monitors on my lower end rigs... that replaced any Yamaha, older EV and Peavey wedges in my stock and every band i've worked with who would have used those before loves the k10. In this case, I'm looking for the higher end rig. There's a clear sound quality difference, and I need the better quality for this rig.

here's my requirements:
- powered. The Claris are the last passive boxes I own, and I like the move.
- must sound at least as good as my Clair setup. Not looking for the best thing available today -- just for something that sounds as good as and gets as loud as the Clairs.
- price range in the $1k - $2k MAP per box
- Rider-friendly. I don't do major tours, but it needs to be a setup that if a 'band you heard of' comes through and isn't picky about the exact brand/model they're used to, it'll be on their 'acceptable' list.

I was considering the SRX 812p used as a monitor just because it would match my SRX 8xx FOH rig... but I'm not sure if that's a good reason, and I'm wondering if a coax wedge that's designed to be a wedge might be a better choice.

Thoughts? What would you look at?

For those of you know know the sound of the 12am, what's the bottom end to your ears that meets that need, or the best choice to replace them?

Hey Jim,

Good timing as I am in exactly the same boat, except my old monitors are Meyer UM-1Cs.

John Moore of Trinity Sound arranged a RCF tt25-cxa demo for me, which was used for Nitty Gritty Dirt Band last week and an opener for The Devil Makes 3. Haven't had a chance to give it a direct comparison to our existing Meyers yet, but that should happen in the next week. NGDB's monitor tech seemed happy enough, but was hardly pushing the envelope. His concern was more consistency across all of the mixes.

While not exactly a common rider friendly box, I have used my EV Qrx112 and Qrx115 monitors many times and have rarely had complaints. Can't say the same thing about a few of the JBL powered boxes, the VP series being the exception. I'm also curious about the new JBL dual 10" and 12" wedges, VTX-M20 and M22, but they are passive, so may not be an option for you.

Cheers,
Simon P. Coffin

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Kimball