HDCP issues with scaler

Mar 16, 2011
Hey guys,

I've come across a problem with HDCP with a video system at work. We have Kramer VP-731 scaler's which claim to be HDCP compliant. When using with a Sony Blu Ray Player, HDMI from blu ray to scaler and HDMI from scaler to Roland VC-1-SC Scan Converter box to convert to SDI to send across the room to our projector. I get video on the screen for about 5 seconds and it cuts out. The scaler has an on/off setting for HDCP for each HDMI input but it does not seem to make any difference. The scan converter manual says this:

"The VC-1-SC supports HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection system). When anHDCP-applied signal is input, output is possible from only the HDMI OUT connector. Output fromthe SDI OUT connector and AUDIO OUT connectors is stopped."

Obviously this is where the HDCP handshake is going down. Is there a way to get around this? I know that i can use component out from the blu ray player. I'm looking for a better solution. Someone recommended the Gefen HDMI Detective Plus.