Headphone amplifier

Re: Headphone amplifier

the CHEAPEST solution does require you to do some soldiering...

i use a ac powered computer speaker

there's battery powered ones around as well
[they all have 1/8th" TRS out...]

... a lot louder than most headphone amps

i never had any issues with subsnake runs
and unbalanced inputs but i understand what 'ground' can mean

fwiw

For a little mixer try:
Behringer XENYX 802, Cheap, reliable, loud headphone amp, compact. 2 mono, 2 stereo + stereo aux in and each input can be eq'd to taste.

I'm slightly surprised QSC seem to be the first to advertise their paired IEM-oriented aux outs as being specifically designed to drive hardwired IEMs.

I know that some people are already managing to do this from regular aux outputs, but it seems like a feature that would naturally have a place (and cost little to provide) on boards like the Allen & Heath Qu series - where they have already designed the monitor outputs to include fixed stereo pairs.

Even on a digital board with upgradable firmware, I would think this particular feature may be difficult to implement in future upgrades; it seems like a hardware limitation - though I could well be wrong as I'm no expert in mixing desk engineering issues.

I guess companies like A&H that already have personal monitoring solutions could be reluctant to add functionality that might compromise sales of an existing product.

The new QSC Touchmix looks like it would make a great sub-mixers for keyboards and computer tracks, where there is built in ability to send an IEM mix, including click if needed, to both the keyboard player and drummer - as well as sending several sub-mixed keyboard (and/or e-drum) outputs plus the click to the house.

Sent from my GT-I8160 2

i like it. Good idea.
I prefer the sort of setup where the headphone amp is offstage and the control at the musician is a passive volume control. Been using rackmount headphone amps but yours is a good cheap suggestion for DIY-ers.

Hey Andrew is there a commercially available system that works like this? I have been making a passive headphone box myself to do this and have not really found a system that I can purchase that I find does the job well.

Yeah I have come across this one, I ordered one and it has too much plastic going on for my taste.

I have been making a similar box with an aluminum enclosure, and alps pots with metal posts and real neutrik connectors. I think for the price they are selling these at they could afford to do the same, Mine cost about $35 in parts. I was just hoping to find one where I did not have to put in all of the time...

I dig the Fischer mini body pack, that is exactly the kind of thing that I was looking for!

I have a couple of the Fischer mini body packs (XLR version) and they're great.
It's very convenient to be able to use standard mic cables as headphone extensions and nice to have a tiny belt pack with volume control.

But it is NOT a headphone amplifier!
It's just a little passive volume control. You still have to connect them to a suitable headphone amplifier.

S.R.

I have a couple of the Fischer mini body packs (XLR version) and they're great.
It's very convenient to be able to use standard mic cables as headphone extensions and nice to have a tiny belt pack with volume control.

But it is NOT a headphone amplifier!
It's just a little passive volume control. You still have to connect them to a suitable headphone amplifier.

S.R.

Yes, I view it not being a headphone amp as the biggest plus, NO Batteries!!!!. I was looking for a wired IEM solution with one cable, and no batteries.

I have been using a Rane HC-6 headphone amp to do the job. It has a bit more beef behind each of the headphone amps than most other rack mount headphone amps I have found from rolls, and Behringer, and the like. I figure that the signal is traveling throughout up to 150ft of cable once it gets through the snake and a mic cable so i would like to make sure that even if it looses some umph it will still do the job. the Rane also has inputs and outputs for each channel on the back of the amp so you can have 6 separate mixes with it. All you need to do is make yourself a rack panel with 6 1/4" to XLR adapters and off you go, everything is XLR. No need to carry a special cable for IEMs.

I Just sent in my Dealer app today to get an account with Fischer. I should be up and running by next week...

Luke