Heavy duty headset mic ideas

I'm looking for ideas for a heavy duty headset mic. This would be used by an announcer for high school track and field events on the field and by their own admission the mic would be subjected to rough treatment. At this time they have a Telex mic and Telex wireless body pack. The look of the mic is not important. Adapting the mic to work with a Telex body pack is not an issue. After numerous repairs for tearing the cable out of the mic and damage to the mic itself there looking for something that could at least last a couple of seasons.

Re: Heavy duty headset mic ideas

You could try armored cable and military grade head sets, but then they'd just find a way to rip it out of the transmitter. What about a little respect for the equipment? Inflate the replacement cost and make it a little more painful to replace on a regular basis. Or sell them a case of whatever they're using now.

Attachments

• IMG_4188.jpg
    IMG_4188.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 0

I'm looking for ideas for a heavy duty headset mic. This would be used by an announcer for high school track and field events on the field and by their own admission the mic would be subjected to rough treatment. At this time they have a Telex mic and Telex wireless body pack. The look of the mic is not important. Adapting the mic to work with a Telex body pack is not an issue. After numerous repairs for tearing the cable out of the mic and damage to the mic itself there looking for something that could at least last a couple of seasons.

So you need a technical solution to a human problem? Make it financially painful.... VERY PAINFUL. In the mean time, suggest they go back to conventional microphones until they learn to play nice with the tools....

Why does it have to be a headset? And why MUST they treat it badly?

Tim "contemptuous of stupid gear treatment" Mc

"Special Projects Audio" makes headsets for aerobics instructors. Serious heavy-duty construction, easily replaceable cable. Sound quality? Well, it's durable. We keep repairing/selling new cables to our local fitness studio customers, but it takes a long time for them to wear out the headset itself.

http://specialprojectsaudio.com/en/fitness-microphones/2-sp-h2o-fitness-mic.html

It just about needs to be a headset for hands free use and as a side benefit the mic placement will be somewhat consistent.

As for treatment of the equipement, I didn't want to say anything because I knew everyone else would take care of that for me!

Thanks for the Special Projects link Scott.

It just about needs to be a headset for hands free use and as a side benefit the mic placement will be somewhat consistent.

As for treatment of the equipement, I didn't want to say anything because I knew everyone else would take care of that for me!

Thanks for the Special Projects link Scott.

I would probably bring up the hygiene issue (falsely, I don't ring it a real issue) and suggest that mics are cheap enough that each announcer should buy their own (or be assigned a specific one).

maybe if they have paid for it, they will respect it.

I've been using the standard Sennheiser G2 headsets for dance teachers for years. The mics have survived being snatched off their heads by the cable, being slung across the room when the pack comes loose during a spin, etc. Occasionally the sound gets distorted after a particularly sweaty session, but drying it out and bumping the capsule against my palm a few times clears it up.

That said, my next wireless upgrade may be to ULXD, and Shure has a new series of headsets that I'm interested in checking out.