Heil RC35 capsule for Shure UR systems.

Hello all,

I recently got my hands on a Heil RC35 capsule for the Shure UR wireless mic system while out on the road with Cee Lo Green thanks to Greg McVeigh and Steve Warford. We'd been using the standard 58 and Beta 58 caps and were ok with them but were looking to try something new. We were also actively seeking a mic with greater GBF since Cee Lo likes it really loud (REALLY LOUD) on stage. We're working on getting him into some IEMs but that's another story.

Anyway, right from the get go with the RC35 my monitor engineer (Aaron "Double A" Dilks) and I heard a remarkable difference in the clarity and depth of this mic compared to the standards. The top end was smooth and a bit pronounced while the mids and low end were detailed and clear. I found there to be little proximity effect so I had to use less HPF on Cee Lo's mic channel strip. That's a huge benefit since Cee Lo's voice can go from low to high and spread all over the frequency spectrum. The less I have to EQ the better. From the monitor world side of things we found we had a much easier time ringing out the wedges and sidefills with this mic and that the overall presence coming from the speakers was enhanced and had an exciting "edge" to it. Since Cee Lo does like it so loud we found we previously had to drastically carve the upper mids and high end out to avoid feedback and the harshness that can prevail when cranking it up. But with the RC35 we had much less of that to deal with since the highs on this mic are smooth and natural sounding.

Overall we've found this mic delivers consistent, smooth and natural sounding vocals for Cee Lo night after night and numerous other engineers on site (such as everyone at the Late Show with David Letterman and many others) have commented on how impressed they are with the RC35. Along with the PR22 I use on the snare our sound has benefited greatly from Heil mics and we will be purchasing more for other uses on the tour.

I would love to hear from other Heil users so please reach out and share your thoughts!

Re: Heil RC35 capsule for Shure UR systems.

Hi Void,
Yep, the PR35 capsule is very nice, and very reasonably priced compared to the other mics out there that I think it competes with. I have been very pleased with it in general. I also use the PR20 often on snare with great results. I mix occasionally a group with 5 vocalists all on PR35 that previously were on SM58's and everyone has commented about the difference and been very happy. The qualities you describe are certainly true.

Glad to hear your gig with Cee Lo is going well, I am happy to see that you're becoming ever more successful in the live sound world.

Cheers
Jeff

But how do they perform as compared to mics that (unlike the SM58 and Beta58) sound good and have decent wash rejection? (The PR22 sounds good but picks up every sound in the room.)

The PR35 does a much better job with wash rejection than the PR20/22.
Not like OM7 territory, but perfectly acceptable for my typical requirements.
One notable thing is that the off axis response is pretty consistent on these and so the wash tends to have a different, more pleasant tonal character than that from a 58.

There are still certain scenarios where a 58 works better, but those are not that common anymore, at least for me.

Sounding better than a (B)58 is the minimum requirement for any vocal mic now days, IMHO. The PR35 is good, but a few friends and myself would take an AE5400 over it. Or AE3300, or any higher end condenser. B87a - depends on vocalist. it's a good mic, but all the hype led to disappointment. PM if you're looking for a basically NIB PR35.

I use the PR22 on the snare top and bottom. Very little eq with a thick , punchy sound.
I do use gates to keep the bleed out. Other than that I've stopped looking for a better snare microphone.

Douglas R. Allen

The PR35 is good, but a few friends and myself would take an AE5400 over it. Or AE3300, or any higher end condenser. B87a - depends on vocalist. it's a good mic, but all the hype led to disappointment. PM if you're looking for a basically NIB PR35.

Caleb,
I've used the AE5400 plenty including on gigs where the PR35s were also in use. All I can say is different strokes for different folks. The 5400 is an excellent mic, but so is the PR35. They do have different tonal characteristics, and not everyone's voice is best suited by a single mic. Let's not forget that the Heil has a significantly lower cost than some of the other mics it is in a similar performance class to.... The RC35 capsule to stick on existing Shure transmitters that Void mentions is only about $250...... To get into something like a Shure KSM9 Wireless rig you're looking at 3K(ish) and while the KSM9 is a nice mic, it is in my opinion only marginally better than the Heil.

My point is this - the Heil is a good mic and an excellent bang for the buck. Sure, there may be other mics that you may or may not prefer, but few that are on par or better than the PR35 exist anywhere near its price point, including the AE5400 which is typically $100-120 more than the Heil.

The RC35 capsule to stick on existing Shure transmitters that Void mentions is only about $250...... To get into something like a Shure KSM9 Wireless rig you're looking at 3K(ish) and while the KSM9 is a nice mic, it is in my opinion only marginally better than the Heil.

Apples to apples, the KSM9 capsule for Shure UHF-R systems is just under $600. So over double the price of the Heil capsule, but not 3k.

My comparison of the AE5400 and PR35 (and a number of other mid and high end mics) is actually pretty close in cost. The average SFN user can log onto the 'net, and find wired PR35's and AE5400's for pretty close in cost with the right connections. They are both 'premium' vocal mics, and go head to head overall. My opinion is that the AE5400, and others, are better due to extended HF response and better transient response. If the PR35, or any mic for that matter, is preferred doesn't mean it has better transient response; it may simply fit a specific voice better. The AE5400 fit nearly all voices we tested better than the PR35.

I do agree that there is no one perfect mic for all voices, even a perfectly neutral mic. If you, or anyone, prefers the PR35 or B58 or _____, that's fine. We all have preferences. I just don't see the PR35 as being better than any of the premium condensers, or even (in many apps) equal.

My 2c

Apples to apples, the KSM9 capsule for Shure UHF-R systems is just under $600. So over double the price of the Heil capsule, but not 3k.

Hi Rob,
Yes, I realize I wasn't making an apples to apples comparison as the KSM9 Wireless package is the whole deal, not just capsule, I just wasn't aware of the cost of a KSM9 capsule at the time other than knowing it was considerably more expensive than the Heil. Thanks for clarifying the KSM9 capsule value.

I wasn't looking to start a debate with anyone in this thread, and should have simply said this - the Heil is about $100 cheaper than anything out there of comparable or marginally better quality IMHO.

If folks can afford to look at more expensive mics, you may find something else you prefer, but I think most would be quite pleased with the performance of a PR35. I don't want to come across as a Heil fanboy.... I don't like all of the mics in the Heil line, but think the PR35 (and PR40) are both winners.

Cheers
Jeff

I found my AE5400 to be of very limited use owing to its picking up everything - just like the PR22, VX10, KMS105, .....

I remember that mic, it's happily being used nearly daily, and the new owners love it. They use IEM's, well-controlled drums and amps, etc., so there is minimal wash to be picked up.