Horn adapter 1" to 1.4"

Michael John

Junior
Jun 25, 2011
Sydney, Australia
eclipseaudio.com
I have a few EAW VR/MK series horns left over from previous install jobs. The horns have a 1.4" (35.6mm) throat and I'd like to drive them with 1" drivers.

Can anyone point me to 1" to 1.4" horn adapters? (P-Audio have a 1" to 1.5" - not close enough - and I haven't found much else.)

The EAW VR series have an adapter inside but getting EAW parts here is challenging.

(Yes, I could use 1.4" drivers but they tend to be more expensive and I don't need the SPL.)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Re: Horn adapter 1" to 1.4"

Hi Michael,
It might take a bit of legwork, but the jbl AE(?) series install boxes that used the 2407 screw on hf drivers had a 1" screw on to 1.4" flange adapter on the horn. If you can pull up the jbl service documents and find out what part number that is, it should be available pretty affordable from a jbl dealer.

Edit: I think it's jbl part #339308-001

Edit #2: quick google search shows that's a 1" to 1.5" adapter like the p-audio, but I've always had good luck finding unique parts as replacement components from manufactured boxes as opposed to buying off the shelf. Maybe try jbl or EV parts?

Last edited:

Thanks very much for the leads...

FWIW I found one by HC Audio but their "info" email address bounces. It's a bolt on and exactly matches the length of the EAW so I presume it's expansion rate is almost identical.
http://hcdesignaudio.com/hcdesign/index.cfm/products/accessories/horn-throat-adaptor/

Edit: HC Audio and P-Audio are the same company, or at least have the same address.

Hi Michael,
It might take a bit of legwork, but the jbl AE(?) series install boxes that used the 2407 screw on hf drivers had a 1" screw on to 1.4" flange adapter on the horn. If you can pull up the jbl service documents and find out what part number that is, it should be available pretty affordable from a jbl dealer.

Edit: I think it's jbl part #339308-001

Edit #2: quick google search shows that's a 1" to 1.5" adapter like the p-audio, but I've always had good luck finding unique parts as replacement components from manufactured boxes as opposed to buying off the shelf. Maybe try jbl or EV parts?

Last edited:

Michael,

If your commercial search does not pan out, if you have a friend with a lathe he could cut some adapters through layers of plywood (Baltic Birch is best) and you could drill out mounting plates out of aluminum.

Too bad you don't need 1.4 to 2", or you could use the ones my dad made for me:

Attachments

• Throat Adapters.png
    Throat Adapters.png
    403.4 KB · Views: 2

Good to know. Thanks very much.

I just got access to a 3D printer so I might try printing one and reinforcing it somehow with aluminium.

Michael,

If your commercial search does not pan out, if you have a friend with a lathe he could cut some adapters through layers of plywood (Baltic Birch is best) and you could drill out mounting plates out of aluminum.

Too bad you don't need 1.4 to 2", or you could use the ones my dad made for me:

I just got access to a 3D printer so I might try printing one and reinforcing it somehow with aluminium.
If you print the adapters thick enough, and can through bolt from the horn mounting plate to the driver mounting holes, you wouldn't need any aluminum. That said, there might not be enough room on a 1.4" horn plate to line up with the driver bolt circle, so you may have to do screw notches and a plate on the driver side like we did.
You can see in the upper right adapter flat head screws go through from the driver side to the JBL 2" horn, but the bolt circle on the EV 1.4" required a second set of holes, requiring the notched out areas for the bolts going through the aluminum plates.

Don't know if printable plastic has much structural strength, but Baltic Birch has great screw retention, so long wood screws and some caulk provide an adequate hold for the aluminum plate.

Attachments

• Adapters.jpg
    Adapters.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1