How do you get more hire clients when you're a tiny hire business?

Lisa Lane-Collins

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
All my hire work so far has been word of mouth, and cold canvassing when I hear a place is looking. This has limited me to very slow growth though and my trickling income says I need to get more proactive finding work for my gear.

My dilemmas are, I'd still potentially prefer to be hired by an existing hire company (although even with years of experience under my belt now, this still seems to be a completely Not happening thing, even during the busiest time of the year and I think I'll starve if I wait for that). And, I don't have a formal place of business (too small for that). So, I don't have the benefit and legitimacy of a warehouse and I'm reluctant to start advertising publicly officially declaring myself a competitor to these other businesses that I would prefer to work for if the jobs were going.

Because if has been done to me by another company here, I know hire company owners sometimes approach a place in person with their business card asking "are you happy with your AV installation?" Which seems like a low act but apparently is fair play. So, it could be time to print off business cards and start targeting the venues that do live music (my target market for now). I'm just wondering if there are other ways of seeking out hire clients that I haven't thought of? And if going formal and public about my status as a hire company is going to scuttle my chances of employment elsewhere? (Although to be fair, Every hire company I have worked for has had some older freelancers who run their own businesses!) And also, if I land clients who would like me to take care of the installation audio visual too, if I'll actually be able to do that part of the job justice as I haven't had any decent practice with that (just one venue where I learnt everything Not to do regarding audio....I suppose I could subcontract a more experienced tech to take care of that side of things....).

Re: How do you get more hire clients when you're a tiny hire business?

Business cards and a basic website can help. I don't get a lot of random visitors to my site, but I have really benefitted from having it since I can refer potential clients to it. "Take a look at picture XXXX for a similar gig I've done..." Always take pictures of your shows. A neat stage goes a long way.

Google "Sound hire Adelaide" or a similar phrase, chances are that anyone with a computer or smart phone will do that, and not look beyond.
Even those that you have reached by word of mouth or those who have your business card will google, and if they don't find you, your chances are diminished.

Lisa,
+1 on business cards and website.
I don't think that "... declaring myself as a competitor to these businesses" will have the adverse effects you're concerned with. I've seen what you've done over the years, (what you've talked about here) and I don't think anyone can doubt your sincerity and ability to perform. Declaring yourself as a competitor will show the world you're serious. A business license and insurance helps complete that package. You ARE a professional, and you need to show the world you are, or risk not being taken seriously.
I'd venture to say, it MAY make you more marketable to those companies you seek employment from. Showing that independence, self reliance, and management skills arguably would position you as something closer to a peer than someone only looking for a job.

frank

Business cards/google/paid advertising and that sort of impersonal communication only get you so far in a high talent business like sound production. I believe that the best way to get more and more gigs is to be part of a "scene", that is, have a genuine interest in the production of sound events that other people are doing and place high value in finding out who is the producer of the events that you attend, when they might be doing another event, how you could get on a sound crew of a regional company who is part of a different scene and how you can develop a network that exists outside of the internet and other traditional channels. Knowing a large cache of promoters and having something to rent to them which no other sound company owns is a great way in. I did this by renting huge diesel generators to both promoters and other sound companies (truthfully, there was a lot more profit in the power rental business than the sound business, especially when you can provide 75KVA power in off-road locations). In my opinion, being just another "me too" company will get you nowhere, there have to be risks involved in order to expect any returns. Everyone has a business card, everyone has an internet site and everyone owns a line array and 16 dual 18's and will do it cheaper (or free) every time. The only way to escape the fate of the sound industries' eventual race to the bottom is to eliminate the possibility of promoters being able to "get it somewhere else cheaper" and you are in.

Spot on, Tim!

Someone once declined to bid on an equipment sale to me, with a message in his email that stuck: "A negotiation based solely on price, leaves all parties disappointed".

Business cards/google/paid advertising and that sort of impersonal communication only get you so far in a high talent business like sound production. I believe that the best way to get more and more gigs is to be part of a "scene", that is, have a genuine interest in the production of sound events that other people are doing and place high value in finding out who is the producer of the events that you attend, when they might be doing another event, how you could get on a sound crew of a regional company who is part of a different scene and how you can develop a network that exists outside of the internet and other traditional channels. Knowing a large cache of promoters and having something to rent to them which no other sound company owns is a great way in. I did this by renting huge diesel generators to both promoters and other sound companies (truthfully, there was a lot more profit in the power rental business than the sound business, especially when you can provide 75KVA power in off-road locations). In my opinion, being just another "me too" company will get you nowhere, there have to be risks involved in order to expect any returns. Everyone has a business card, everyone has an internet site and everyone owns a line array and 16 dual 18's and will do it cheaper (or free) every time. The only way to escape the fate of the sound industries' eventual race to the bottom is to eliminate the possibility of promoters being able to "get it somewhere else cheaper" and you are in.

What has worked for me so far is the Word of mouth and Business Cards. once you are out there then sometimes ( not every time) people will ask the event staff about you if they like your work, For Example, I was doing a event when i first got started and the guy that hired me came and told me in small talk that there was a person there at the event that asked who i was, even though i didn't get the job he was going to do , I got work later in the events in his area. And another instance I was doing a Car Show at our arena and the Building manager of the arena here was talking to me and mentioned they were going to start a fair and asked would i be interested in doing it and so long story short i have been with them since day 1 about 4 years now. Having a facebook or a actual website will help too as TJ stated it's always best to take photo's of your setup and how the stage is setup so the people will know what they are getting. and too Have some good referrals that you can give as well , You never ever know who will ask for it, In fact i have a potential new Client that i am talking with that asked me for that very thing the other day. So it doesn't hurt to have photo's and referrals handy. Basically, You need to go to your local alliance there if you have one and they will have things from time to time that you can do , Also get in with your arena if you have one and get to know the people and let them get to know you as well, but i would bid with a contract , I have learned that the hard way in some cases. Hope this helps you.

Very encouraged by the notion that establishing myself as a legitimate business might actually work in my favour.

Thank you all for the sound advice (no pun), feel like I have enough to put together some kind of a plan of action and execute it, shall see where that takes me :)

Very encouraged by the notion that establishing myself as a legitimate business might actually work in my favour.

Thank you all for the sound advice (no pun), feel like I have enough to put together some kind of a plan of action and execute it, shall see where that takes me :)

Yeah, Glad we could help ya. anything in life is like the old Nike Commercial " Just Do It!!!". Just get out there and Rock what you got. :)