How secure are

Jay Barracato

Graduate Student
Jan 11, 2011
Solomons MD
the various wireless hookups, especially the ones for ipad? I have heard differing reports of all the different flavors of VNC but most of that is probably due to the open source code.

I may be behind the reading curve because I really know nothing about the ipad as a operating system.

Re: How secure are

the various wireless hookups, especially the ones for ipad? I have heard differing reports of all the different flavors of VNC but most of that is probably due to the open source code.

I may be behind the reading curve because I really know nothing about the ipad as a operating system.

They are as secure as you make them. What form of encryption are you selecting?

OSS=/insecure

I don't have one. I was just wondering about the security of the transmission with all the talk about the studiolive and ilive apps.

Jay,

The current batch of wireless encryption standards are tested worldwide by people who are as into encryption and security as we are into audio. If that's not good enough, you can probably run your VNC session encrypted, although I doubt that the device-specific apps do this. To be in trouble then, someone would have to be at your show with a laptop, crunch through the packet traffic coming off your network to try and crack it (assuming there is a crack, breaking the encryption itself without an exploit is not practical... your show will have been gone for months or years by then), break in to your network, know what devices you have on it, have the software to control said devices, connect to said device, and then I guess they can move some faders.

Long story short: I wouldn't worry about it even on an unsecured network. Someone would have to want to screw with you, specifically... and if they want to do it that badly they can probably just guess your password, or physically cause a problem.

WPA2 PSK (also known as Personal) is reasonably secure if you use a good password, certainly good enough for show control, IMO.

WPA2 PSK is pretty much infailable if AES is used and a truely random 256bit key. TKIP (an alternative encryption scheme supported by WPA) has been compromised by a flaw found by some researchers.

To thwart brute force attempts, a non-dictionary set of random charcaters should be used for the passphrase if a true 256bit key is not being used (64 ascii characters). Another good measure is to not use a common name for the wireless access point SSID if using a passphrase. The 256bit key is generated via an algorithm using the phasphrase and SSID.

Other protections, hide the SSID (don't broadcast) and enable MAC address filtering.

Other protections, hide the SSID (don't broadcast) and enable MAC address filtering.

Both of these are extremely easy to thwart and provide virtually no security. Not broadcasting the SSID actually breaks the standard.

I smell a geek fight coming on.
icon_twisted.gif

Both of these are extremely easy to thwart and provide virtually no security. Not broadcasting the SSID actually breaks the standard.

I smell a geek fight coming on.
icon_twisted.gif

icon_wink.gif

We have three control networks in the room, all with no SSID, mac filtering and 256 bit encryption. No issues and we have about 15k people a week through the joint. If for some reason you were able to get on, you wouldn't have Cue Station client software installed and you wouldn't know the IP address of the Cue Console server.

Correct, but they do reduce the chances of people stumbling across your network and connecting 'just because'. Multiple connection attempts will slow down your wireless network. MAC address filtering is also easy to spoof, but slows down a potential misanthrope.