How would you pack an ship 250' W4 trunk?

Jason Raboin

Sophomore
Apr 6, 2011
Northampton, MA
The title says it. I sold my 250' Whirlwind W4 and now need to ship it. Put it on a pallet and wrap it with plastic wrap? Build a crate?
Also, who would you use for shipping? It's going from Massachusetts to Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Re: How would you pack an ship 250' W4 trunk?

The title says it. I sold my 250' Whirlwind W4 and now need to ship it. Put it on a pallet and wrap it with plastic wrap? Build a crate?
Also, who would you use for shipping? It's going from Massachusetts to Pittsburgh.

I would get a big cardboard box from an appliance store and coil the W4 into it. Put that on a small pallet and shrinkwrap around the whole thing.

Freightquote.com works really well for freight shipping. Should be pretty cheap since cable is not prone to shock and vibration damage. Give them a call and they'll help you set everything up, and they usually work with you to get the cheapest price.

Building a crate would not be out of the question, but that's me.

A "Gaylord" is essentially a large carton affixed to a pallet:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...x-22-x-22-275-lb-Double-Wall-Corrugated-Boxes

Strap it down to an appropriately sized pallet that's has a larger footprint by a few inches on each side(a little protection from banging around the semi trailer), and off it goes.

Do you have or work at a location that has a freight dock?

Best regards,

John

Your main concern is a forklift putting a fork through the cable. I'd consider a wood box to be a good investment for a cable of that cost. It doesn't need a top, necessarily, but stackable pallets allow for cheaper rates.

Freightquote is awesome, also.

I spoke to freightquote.com and they are amazing. I'm going to drop it off nearby since I have a cargo van but no dock. I will pack it in a good double walled box and put it on a pallet. Thank you all so much for your help.