Induction Cooktops

Jack Arnott

Senior
Jan 29, 2011
Are any of you using induction cooktops?
If so, what is your experience, and which models are you using.

I am finding woefully little information from real, or seemingly real users.
Any reviews I can find seem more extreme in the puff pieces or just ranting than even usual internet experiences.

Re: Induction Cooktops

One thing, there must be SOME ferrous material in the pot construction, otherwise nothing. The stainless cookware I got a couple years ago is noncompatible. There is a symbol that is imprinted in newer cookware if it is induction capable. The symbol reminds me of a decoration on an old toaster - like three cursive "L". I was thinking of getting one, but I have only two pots that can be used.

Yes ... excellent. Using Miele. Fast and precise temp control. Energy goes into the pot (which must be magnetic), not around it and up the vent. But, as posters above have noted, there's no 'analog' feedback like the size of a flame, or redness of an element. Uses high power and you'll need cabling to suit. Our three zone unit pulls 7.4kW.

One thing, there must be SOME ferrous material in the pot construction, otherwise nothing. The stainless cookware I got a couple years ago is noncompatible. There is a symbol that is imprinted in newer cookware if it is induction capable. The symbol reminds me of a decoration on an old toaster - like three cursive "L". I was thinking of getting one, but I have only two pots that can be used.

That would be an image of a coil perhaps? :)

They use them at our cafeteria here at work. They seem to heat up nearly instantly and everything around them seems to stay cool (they lay a plastic spatula on it and it doesn't melt).

Looks pretty cool, but don't have any first hand experience.

Sent from my SPH-L900

I used them while cooking for college. Pricey, heat very fast, doesn't heat non-metal items. No first hand longevity comments. I'd love them in my home.

Typed on a virtual keyboard.

Hello All, thanks for the reply's.

I do know that not all pans will work with induction. We have been testing pans here with a refrigerator magnet.

Unfortunately a lot of my pans are in storage, as we are living in a small rental for a few more months.
But my most used pans will work. The pressure cookers, cast iron skillets, and a clad pan fit this.
Most of my Revere Ware will not. A lot of these I have because they are my grandmothers, but don't use them as much.
About 25% will work from my observations so far.

One of the selling points of pressure cookers is the fast cooking times. But never mentioned is that cooking times start when full pressure is met.
It can take a while with a full pot to get there, and I am hoping this will be sped up with induction.
Once at pressure, it does not take much heat to maintain pressure.

I do have a history of melting or burning things lying around, so maybe that will be mitigated.
(Our old oven (gas) was so inefficient that if I left something plastic lying on the back two burners while using it, the plastic would melt.)

Thanks, Jack

I do not have any first hand experience but here is a post from Marty McCann I saw on FB

Marty said:
Glass Top Stoves.

If you are thinking of buying one .... do NOT. Those of you that know me know that after music my passion is cooking. We bought one of these about a year ago and I simply hate it.

It has a heat sensing mechanism that shuts off the element when the surface reaches a certain temperature. It takes three or four times longer simply to boil water to cook pasta. That certainly can't be efficient power wise.

AND, you can not leave an element on low to keep something warm, as it will eventually reach a boiling point. I have ruined too many pots of Black Beans, refried beans, pork & beans, Red Beans, Mac & cheese, etc.

Maybe I can save someone else from this stove top hell.

Oh and keeping the surface clean is about impossible as well.

The old electric with coil heater elements worked so much better. It was just 30 yrs old. If I had known the trouble I was in for, I would have kept it longer, or bought another just like it.

Perhaps chase down Marty for more info...

https://www.facebook.com/marty.mccann.96

JR

Are any of you using induction cooktops?
If so, what is your experience, and which models are you using.

I am finding woefully little information from real, or seemingly real users.
Any reviews I can find seem more extreme in the puff pieces or just ranting than even usual internet experiences.

I'm very happy. They heat very fast fast, it's faster to boil water in a kettle than in my countertop "water boiler"!

And they cool down very fast. Granted, the last one, especially, depends on the pot/pan.

With my pots and pans, if something's boiling, as soon as I hit the power button, it stops to. Much like gas.

Also, almost immidiately after you remove a pan, the plate is safe to touch. It'll be warm for a minute, but nothing like a traditional stove top.

They do make a irritating noise at some settings with some pans.

In my country we are not used to using gas, almost everybody is using electric stoves, and the induction ones truly are a step up in technology.

PS: The induction stovetops are a great way to super-erase hard drives destined for recycling :lol:

I do not have any first hand experience but here is a post from Marty McCann I saw on FB

Perhaps chase down Marty for more info...

https://www.facebook.com/marty.mccann.96

JR

If it is Ceramic Hotplates he is referring to then I can say I have had no such problem. We had the older style solid hobs and they are useless. Both on a modern Zanussi (~5 years old) and an older Belling (~26 years old and still going strong) are great. Yes they are slower than induction but they are a fair bit cheaper and can use a greater range of cookwear.
FWIW A 12" frying pan takes ~45 sec to heat up (going by thermospot indicator on a tefal frying pan)