Inverter generator owners, please help my FOH article

Phil Graham

Honorary PhD
Mar 10, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Everyone,

The FOH magazine editors have asked me to write about generators. I agreed, as long as they put the world's biggest "I am not an electrician" disclaimer in front of the article. As a result, I'm trying to make sure all my ducks are in a row.

Because inverter generators are an odd breed, I'm hoping that you can help me clarify the behavior of inverter generators, especially non-Honda models. Honda Power Systems US is about 3 miles from my office, so I've talked to them directly, but they weren't able to answer all of my questions:

Things I'd like to know:
  1. Model and various ratings of your inverter generator (Voltage, current, etc.)
  2. Ground/Neutral bonding, or lack thereof
  3. Hot to Neutral voltage (no-load conditions)
  4. Hot to Ground voltage (no-load conditions)
  5. Ground to Neutral voltage (no-load conditions)
  6. Hot to muffler voltage (no-load conditions)
  7. Neutral to muffler voltage (no-load conditions)
  8. Ground to muffler voltage (no-load conditions)

If you have a wiggy, or other means of load testing, I'd be interested in seeing how the above change under load. Specifically, if the neutral to ground potentials drift under load, since the Hondas, and I assume most other inverters, have floating differential hot and neutral (+60V and -60V wrt to ground), and no neutral/ground bond.

If you grok what I am asking, and can measure your inverter generator for me, please send a PM.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Inverter generator owners, please help my FOH article

Everyone,

....Because inverter generators are an odd breed, I'm hoping that you can help me clarify the behavior of inverter generators, especially non-Honda models. Honda Power Systems US is about 3 miles from my office, so I've talked to them directly, but they weren't able to answer all of my questions:

Things I'd like to know:
  1. Model and various ratings of your inverter generator (Voltage, current, etc.)
  2. Ground/Neutral bonding, or lack thereof
  3. Hot to Neutral voltage (no-load conditions)
  4. Hot to Ground voltage (no-load conditions)
  5. Ground to Neutral voltage (no-load conditions)
  6. Hot to muffler voltage (no-load conditions)
  7. Neutral to muffler voltage (no-load conditions)
  8. Ground to muffler voltage (no-load conditions)

...9. What is the impedance from ground to neutral on your inverter generator?