IT8000 Update & Input gain question

Re: IT8000 Update & Input gain question

If I make the RMS limiter half of the RMS rating the amp will be hitting the limiters all night long.
I have asked for help and even offered to pay to have someone help me with this and so far nothing.

So if anyone really wants to tell me were I should be setting everything for my cabinets I am hear to listen, but so far everytime I mention what I have stuff set at it's wrong.
When I calculate for peak voltage everyone says it's too low.
Whats the right way, what am I missing?

If anyone is local too me I will pay you to come take a visit and help me.

Vinny, the last PM I sent you stated that I'd be happy to come help you out, at a gig, for free. Tuning in your basement is pretty pointless except for limiters.

You didn't reply.

If I make the RMS limiter half of the RMS rating the amp will be hitting the limiters all night long.
I have asked for help and even offered to pay to have someone help me with this and so far nothing.

So if anyone really wants to tell me were I should be setting everything for my cabinets I am hear to listen, but so far everytime I mention what I have stuff set at it's wrong.
When I calculate for peak voltage everyone says it's too low.
Whats the right way, what am I missing?

If anyone is local too me I will pay you to come take a visit and help me.

Vinny, not everything is math. You can get away with higher peak voltages because they're peaks... unless the peak causes over-excursion it's okay (HF is less tolerant). Particularly with subs and HF, the Peak-to-Average ratio is very high, so what you want to limit is the long term average power. That's why the I-Tech has a 10 second attack time on the RMS limiter.

I think 50% of a speaker's rated power handling is a bit low, but as Bennett said, getting that extra 3dB without killing the rig is what we system guys get paid for. Start with his suggestion and if you're constantly in RMS limit, either the threshold is too low or you don't have Enough Rig for the Gig™.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Vinny, the last PM I sent you stated that I'd be happy to come help you out, at a gig, for free. Tuning in your basement is pretty pointless except for limiters.

You didn't reply.
I don't have a show with this system until next month and I won't have time at the gig to play around with the settings due to time restrictions.
I am also not to concerned about tuning my system, I am concerned about having peak voltages, RMS limiters and Input gains set properly before I bring the system out.

The system always performed fine the way how I ran it, all I have done is change an amplifier to try to get better performance from my subs.

Vinny, not everything is math. You can get away with higher peak voltages because they're peaks... unless the peak causes over-excursion it's okay (HF is less tolerant). Particularly with subs and HF, the Peak-to-Average ratio is very high, so what you want to limit is the long term average power. That's why the I-Tech has a 10 second attack time on the RMS limiter.

I think 50% of a speaker's rated power handling is a bit low, but as Bennett said, getting that extra 3dB without killing the rig is what we system guys get paid for. Start with his suggestion and if you're constantly in RMS limit, either the threshold is too low or you don't have Enough Rig for the Gig™.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Vinny, the key here is to forget the numbers. At a gig, running the rig the way you usually would, monitor the limiters in System Architect. You will be extremely surprised with the results.

You could even play music in your basement, and adjust the limiter so you see in real-time how much gain reduction is being applied. Live music has a far, far higher crest factor than mastered music, so if you could use a show recording that would work much better.

Again, I've offered to help; now it's up to you.

So what is the correct peak voltage I should be using for my cabs?
Here are there specified ratings,
Subs:
1200w @ 4ohms cont. = 70v
2400w @ 4ohms Prog. = 98v
4800w @ 4ohms Peak = 138v

Tops:
1000w @ 8ohms cont. = 90v
2000w @ 8ohms Prog. = 127v
4000w @ 8ohms Peak = 179v

So using the 1/2 RMS limiter method I would be setting my subs at 1200w @ 2ohms (2 subs on 1-channel)
and the tops would be set at 1000w @ 4ohms (2 tops on 1-channel)

Try this Vinny

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslawcalculators.asp

Play with the number in the boxes.
The rms limiters will still allow for extra "wattage" to get threw to the speakers. Just because you tell the amp that 1000@8ohms is the limit, it will allow a fast peak like a kick through, but it will clamp it down very fast also.

Thats the calculator I have been using to come up with the voltages I have listed, I still have no clue as to WHICH voltage I should be setting my peak voltage at!

I still have no clue as to WHICH voltage I should be setting my peak voltage at!
I'd set it at the program rating of the cabs as that will give you the same performance of powering with a non-DSP amp rated at 2x the RMS of the cabs. You can theoretically use up to the peak rating if needed but you'd have to run that amp on just the subs to get even close to that on them - and establish a reconing fund ;) .

Last edited: