• There's a woman to blame

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's nobody's fault

• It's his own damn fault

• Total voters
Re: Jimmy Buffett injured in fall at concert

I was just listening to the show last night for a while, missed any of this though.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jimmy-buffett-hospitalized-after-falling-from-stage-20110126

There really is a good reason why performers might restrict flash photography at concerts.

Hope it's nothing serious.

John

The article states he was distracted by a flash of light. It didn't attribute it specifically to a camera flash, so there is always the possibility that it could have been part of the show lighting.....or just a ''flash''-back.

Or perhaps he dove off the stage looking for his ''lost shaker of salt''.......

I was just listening to the show last night for a while, missed any of this though.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jimmy-buffett-hospitalized-after-falling-from-stage-20110126

There really is a good reason why performers might restrict flash photography at concerts.

Hope it's nothing serious.

John

The article states he was distracted by a flash of light. It didn't attribute it specifically to a camera flash, so there is always the possibility that it could have been part of the show lighting.....or just a ''flash''-back.

Or perhaps he dove off the stage looking for his ''lost shaker of salt''.......

Yes, it could have been something other than camera flash, but I'd hope someone doing the lights sort of knows the show, and avoids that-a stray camera flash from the front row aiming up at the performer's face seems more likely to cause this accident, IMO.

Best regards,

John

Being blinded by show lighting in a concert is pretty common. Much of the time you can't see past the lip of the stage. We typically outline it in bright gaff or glow tape to warn the performers where the edge of the stage is. This happens more than one might think.

Dave

Being blinded by show lighting in a concert is pretty common. Much of the time you can't see past the lip of the stage. We typically outline it in bright gaff or glow tape to warn the performers where the edge of the stage is. This happens more than one might think.

Dave

Then there is the band from Jamaica whose guitar player (due to past psychedelic indulgence) cannot have any reds in the lighting. They are extremely strict about this as reds give him flashbacks which completely disable him.

What caused the mishap?

We have a winner!!!!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

What caused the mishap?

it's the risk performers take when they use a raised platform that in ANY other context would require a railing

if it were me up there I would insist on the stage surface being made in such a way that I could tell I was close even with my eyes closed.

Jason

One does have to wonder where OSHA is on staging issues (not in Australia, of course!).

There is a pretty standard strip that advise the visually impaired they're close to the edge of a train platform - raised quarter-sized bumps about twice as thick as a quarter laid out in offset rows. I think it is available in rolls - like sheet goods. Seems one could roll out a 24'' or 36'' strip of it across the front of the stage and be done with it.

frank

I watched a performer trip over a large powered monitor and land face first on the ground... it was a dark audience (with stage lights in his face)... and he was wearing sunglasses. Luckily he was not hurt (other than bruised ego)...
icon_cool.gif