L'acoustics K2

Nick Boulton

Freshman
Jan 18, 2011
Southampton, UK
Hi everyone, I'm the system tech for a full production tour that's currently doing the rounds in the UK. The system is K2, SB28s and Kara and Arcs for various fills.

Thus far I'm very impressed with the flexibility and sound of the system, although as its new and shiny some of the rigging is a little bit tight.

I'm happy to answer any questions or queries if anyone has any.

Thanks
Nick Boulton

Re: L'acoustics K2

Are you using any of the horizontal dispersion louvers? How about different horizontal in the same array? If so how is the transition between zones?

This is something that no one ever loved with the Kudos and I'm pretty curious how well they implemented it this time around. I'm skeptical of how low in frequency they'll be able to control and how smooth the overall horizontal will be able to remain when you start closing down the high and high mid ranges. I didn't see any polars on the product page, but I'm much more interested in real life experience than polars.

thomas d.

Yes I am, I was warned against mixing Symmetric and Asymmetric dispersion within the array due to the slightly jarring shift of having the acoustic centre of the box move as you transition, so I haven't tried it. But using 70 degree cabinets for most of the array and 110 degree cabinets for 'downfill' boxes sounds very even and consistent. The Fins (apparently they aren't louvres any more) only affect the HF dispersion (and are actually very good), the rest of the cabinet is a standard Dipole arrangement with no other pattern control. The fins themselves are sturdy, easy to set (which is a double edged sword, you have to make sure someone doesn't knock a fin) and are probably how things should have been done on the Kudo.

Thanks Nick! What was your standard rig and what was the smallest hang you did? I frequently find that the real trial by fire on a lot of these sized systems is how well it scales down, not up.

thomas d.

Thus far there hasn't really been a standard rig. The smallest we've used is four cabinets groundstacked, or six cabinets aside flown. The rig has sounded consistent and full at any size, but a longer hang definitely seems to have more grunt to it (as you'd expect).

This is something that no one ever loved with the Kudos and I'm pretty curious how well they implemented it this time around.

The other issue with KUDO was the use of a smaller throat compression driver with a nonmetallic diaphragm. Impossible to voice it like VDOSC or K1 which made it very noticeable transitioning from main hang of the bigger boxes to KUDO outfills. Glad they got it right this time.

Indeed, thus far the only issue I've come across is that the cabinets are physically extremely wide to interface with k1 nicely. And in a lot of venues the points are very close to the wall, so flying can be a bit awkward or impossible due to that.