Latest FOH mag confusing

Mike McNany

Freshman
Jan 15, 2011
Franklin, PA
Nice article on damaging speakers. BUT....

It appears that the references to the different pics are NOT what is described in the article. Maybe OPPOSITE. Very misleading.

Then the review of the AUdix F series drum mic kit. I realize there are no actual response curves shown BUT...

for all the different models of included mics, there is VERY little difference in top & bottom frequency specs between the snare mic, the tom mics, and the bass mic? The bass mic, while appearing to be a larger unit, only adds 8 Hz on the low side? The condensors included don't go very high, 15Khz IIRC (already threw the mag out cleaning up)? Where will the cymbal shimmer be?

Mike McNany

Re: Latest FOH mag confusing

Mike,

Don't give away the secret that mic selection is mostly arbitrary! If they didn't label it ''tom mic'' or ''bass drum mic'' people wouldn't know what to put it on.

P.S. The F series blows in comparison to the D series. I miss the D3 most of all, great guitar cab mic.

Mike,

Don't give away the secret that mic selection is mostly arbitrary! If they didn't label it ''tom mic'' or ''bass drum mic'' people wouldn't know what to put it on.

P.S. The F series blows in comparison to the D series. I miss the D3 most of all, great guitar cab mic.

I love that D3 for a lot of stuff. I know it's weird but I've been known to drop one in the back of an open back guitar amp.

Other uses include - snare and top of a Leslie cab.

Never tried any F series. Still haven't tried the i5.

The i5 is an OK mic, I own a pair of them. The few times I've tried it on guitar cabs or horns I found myself using a great deal of EQ, so I no longer use them for those instrument. I'm mostly using them on snare drums. On some snares is sounds REALLY good on others its just OK. Typically I favor a Beta57 on the snare top. The i5 is built VERY well, much better then an SM57 and it is also smaller then an SM57. I think it's a great budget snare mic, for those local shows or bar gigs. I don't regret buying mine.

Nice article on damaging speakers. BUT....

It appears that the references to the different pics are NOT what is described in the article. Maybe OPPOSITE. Very misleading.

ike McNany

I agree. They swapped the pics with the figure numbers.

Nice job of preefrooding I'd say
icon_smile.gif

I've only used the F15s and I'd have to agree. I was in a pinch and bought a pair for dirt cheap. I think they were less than $40 each new. I needed a couple of extra small condensers for a particular gig. I used them on HH. Compared to the Audix ADX-50s that came with my D series drum packs which were purchased some time ago, they were shit. Specs indicate that the only difference was in the low end response of the mic where it rolled off around 100Hz IIRC. Fine for hat duty. Well, it made for some hat doody. Very crunchy sounding, hard to bring out the sizzle. I'll use them in a pinch, but they're a last resort for sure.

Greg

Yep I notices the speaker article pictures last night. Didn't read the mic review but I can say my D series mics are a main stay in my mic box. Been using them since they first came out and adding the collection ever since. Can't figure out why the D3 was dropped though, glad I have a few of them. At one time RAT Sound had some D3's available for sale from a special order run built for them.