Latest project, a small sub using a 15" neo driver

Jan 10, 2011
The city with big shoulders
The drivers are the B&C 15HPL76W, I've had them sitting on a shelf for a while, debating what I was going to do with them. I've got another pair loaded into a pair of two trap boxes, which are not used often, although they work well as a "full range" on sticks-they only weigh 54lbs., using 18mm Baltic Birch. Anyway, the need for a small pair of subs won out, as I don't have any since upgrading my JTR Growlers to Orbit Shifters a while ago.

So, some design work on the 15HPL yielded decent numbers for the driver, about a 5.5cuft cabinet, tuned to give an F3 of 38hz, and at the rms rating of the driver(350watts), very minimal overlap of the mechanical vs. electrical power limits. Also, the predicted response is pretty flat.

The cabinets are 15mm Baltic Birch, handles and input plate are fully recessed(separate pieces of plywood with extra cutout mounted from the inside of the cabinet). Large, oversize rectangular port on the bottom. The cabinet would accept a driver with 20-30% Xmax if needed because of the oversized port. This keeps vent velocity down.

I framed out the driver with a mounting area for a minimal sized perforated metal grill partly to save some weight, partly to add strength. I was shooting for a 50lbs. total weight, but I don't think I hit it, I still have to weigh it. Still, it's pretty light.

Had them shot at the Line-X shop yesterday.

Best regards,

John

002.jpg001.jpg

Re: Latest project, a small sub using a 15" neo driver

Looks very nice John! I hope it sounds as good as it looks! It sounds like you did your homework, however... so it should.

Looks very nice John! I hope it sounds as good as it looks! It sounds like you did your homework, however... so it should.

Thanks guys. I have built a couple...hundred or so...

This project wasn't intended to be anything in the "glorious overkill" vein, just a smaller, lightweight pair of subs for those small pub gigs mostly, and just enough low output to be noticed, not vibrating the pints off the bar. ;>)

I did size the cabinet dimensions so that they fit upright in the pickup truck with the cap, and also just slip in the other pickup truck with the tonneau cover on their sides, trying to avoid that "oh sh*t" moment when the boat you built in the basement doesn't fit up the stairs.

Best regards,

John

John,
Those look great!

I do have one question, why did you choose a traditional cabinet design as opposed to the New Manipulated Vortex Waveguide technology?

But seriously, great job!

John,
Those look great!

I do have one question, why did you choose a traditional cabinet design as opposed to the New Manipulated Vortex Waveguide technology?

But seriously, great job!

Well, I did check the patent application for the Vortex, then I had to have two Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters(tm) just to recover.

;>)

Best regards,

John

Well, I did check the patent application for the Vortex, then I had to have two Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters(tm) just to recover.

;>)

Best regards,

John

I love the way the little umbrella fizzes and dissolves while the ice cubes burn!!!!!

Skoal!!!!