loctite and antennas

Brad Harris

Sophomore
Mar 1, 2011
Stage Left
Any issues with locktite and antennas?

One of our clients keeps on loosing com antennas off of the beltpacks. Aside from 'stop "playing" with the antennas on the beltpacks', would this be a solution to them not coming unscrewed as easily?

BRad

Re: loctite and antennas

Hi Brad,

You might try Loctite 222 low-strength, and sparingly. Anything stronger and it may never come apart without destroying the pack's connector. You may still destroy the antenna, though, but by that time you'll probably be replacing it for being faulty anyway.

If the connectors metal, then any Cyanoacrylate adhesive should work okay, and easily be removed with a razor blade later. If the connectors are plastic or some other polymer then I would test other adhesives. Repeated use of a cyanoacrylate on some materials might melt away the plastic parts over time. Perhaps a small dab of silicone would secure them? Epoxy adhesives might never come off again without damage. If you don't care, then start with the cheapest and see how well it bonds.

EDIT: After looking closer, I see you're talking about threadlock. Don't use that, that is crazy. Secure the antenna normally and the use a dab of adhesive as I said above to keep the nut from spinning.

If the issue cannot be solved with a simple dab of Elmer's White as an anti-vibratory on metallic threads it can only be intentional abuse, and address that accordingly.

Keep in mind that SMA connectors have a limited number of insertions/removals before they go out of spec. SMA terminated antennas should not be removed as a matter of routine.

Any issues with locktite and antennas?

One of our clients keeps on loosing com antennas off of the beltpacks. Aside from 'stop "playing" with the antennas on the beltpacks', would this be a solution to them not coming unscrewed as easily?

BRad

I agree with the others - use some light-duty Loctite sparingly. Maybe nail polish lacquer could work, too? Just a thought.

Yes, we are looking for a mechanical solution to a 'skills' problem.

Thanks for your suggestions on the adhesives.

The client doesn't know how they loose them, and they really don't are that they loose them. In the past year and a half we've gone through roughly 3 sets of antennas per belt pack.

If it were as simple as a solvable skills problem ....

BRad