looking for a Digital Console to work with Pro Tools for a semi professional studio

Rob Charteris

Aug 31, 2018
Australia
Hi all,

this is my first post here so Hello : )

I'm looking for a digital desk for my recording studio.... 24/24 to 32/32 I/O range that can work with Pro Tools 2018.7 doesn't need a lot of fancy candy onboard stuff but that isn't to say I would exclude it. I would like to use it in live setting also for my band. but mostly it will be for studio use. I have been researching this for several weeks and have come to 2 options that look to suit my purposes But!!! unfortunately there is always a "but"

1) PreSonus series 3 SL32, I was first looking at a friends PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2 until I found out that they are now obsolete with local distributer saying if it breaks down we can't get you parts, that would concern me. And so suggested the new series 3 SL24 or 32. researching these units I how found users on the PreSonus forum having issues running pro tools via its DAW control, this issue looks like it has been on going now foe over a year. Also their AVN network doesn't talk to mOS High Sierra 10.13.6 yet so can't hook up to the unit via that path either. Maybe someone here has been successful I would love to hear as this looks like a great desk that could very much fit what I am after.

2) Soundcraft Si Impact, is another interesting console which I am still to find more user feedback on and on first look also seems to have some USB I/O issues connecting to DAW's.

I would be interested in seeing what others are using or of the experiences with the 2 I have mentioned above.

I and currently running......

MBP 15” 2018 macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 +sup Touch Bar and ID
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’d to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2018.7

cheers
Rob

In my opinion (having owned a studio for a long time and done a lot in the live space too) you will be a lot happier if you don't try to kill 2 birds with one stone in this case. None of the decent live consoles are very good as a DAW control surface in my opinion when compared to a real quality DAW controller (FYI I'm currently using an Avid Icon DCommand ES 24 channel in studio, and it absolutely kills in terms of what it can do VS a live console running in a compromised HUI mode).

For an inexpensive ProTools control setup, I would suggest the Avid ProTools Dock with an iPad plus one or more Avid Artist Mix. That will be much much much more useful in the studio than any of the live consoles will.

Separating the 2 will then open you up to many more live console options. You might spend a little more in the long run, but I promise you that you will be a lot happier. If you still need the multiple channels of preamps + audio interface, there are lots of options but you could even just use any of the live desks with multichannel sound cards as a tracking/monitoring desk (assuming you don't want to get into "character" preamps etc)

My 2c
Cheers

Rob,

For what it's worth, those are two of my least favorite options in that price point. In your position, I would probably just accept the less than glamorous X32 or maybe look at one of the Allen & Heath Qu options. Like Jeff said, a DAW control solution is a very different layout from a live console, and if you're just looking at it for the ease of tracking, the X32 is pretty much the best deal at the moment, and has been for quite a while until you make a significant step up in terms of quality (and price!).

Just to update I went with a Yamaha TF5 and are really happy with it. Works well with Pro Tools 2018.10 as an interface and the TF5 gives you several points in which send signal to PT. Also a great live desk..... the X32 was definitely in the mix of desks.