Looking for TV band white space?

Re: Looking for TV band white space?

Matt, that would require on-site RF monitoring. What frequencies are available at one end of the block may not be at the other end...

Ryan posted this over at PSW, too, and Henry Cohen and Scott Helmke have good contributions to that thread. Give 'em a look over.

Yeah after some discussion over there, the one thing someone pointed out that this is more for the new (proposed?) TV Band wireless devices, not necessarily wireless microphones. Wireless mics in the TV bands may still be able to operate based some other rules - though they'd still have to deal with whatever interference and crowding that already existed. I guess at best this tool Google put up can give one a rough idea of what to expect from the RF environment without actually being there. It's a neat tool though, as I like seeing mash-ups and visualizations of data like that.

Yeah after some discussion over there, the one thing someone pointed out that this is more for the new (proposed?) TV Band wireless devices, not necessarily wireless microphones. Wireless mics in the TV bands may still be able to operate based some other rules - though they'd still have to deal with whatever interference and crowding that already existed. I guess at best this tool Google put up can give one a rough idea of what to expect from the RF environment without actually being there. It's a neat tool though, as I like seeing mash-ups and visualizations of data like that.

Google was one of the Really Big Firms lobbying for the use of white space by unlicensed devices. In a way we owe tiny bit of thanks: our use of this spectrum is finally legal. But Google and others were after more spectrum for consumer devices so they can sell more advertising, content and hardware.