Low cost way to setup presentation in specific format?

David Jones

Freshman
Aug 10, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm new to audio and all, so I don't know the specifics at all, so please excuse me if I mess up on something. I need to setup a presentation in which one person will be giving a speech, and others (probably up to 10 people) can listen to that same speech in real-time, with headphones or someway, It doesn't really matter if they have to sit all together at an area or something, that works too. I can't seem to find what this would be called, so it's giving me some difficulties, If anyone could help me with this, it'd be very much appreciated.

Thanks

David

Re: Low cost way to setup presentation in specific format?

David, welcome.

You left out one important detail in your description: where is the audience? Same room, same building, other side of the world, another planet? Are they together or all over the place?

Same room? mic and speaker

Same building? mic and speaker with long cable

Anywhere on earth? the Internet and some sort of streaming protocol should work...I'm not an expert here...

Somewhere extraterrestrial? I'm guessing something fancy with microwaves...

Are you thinking of assisitive listening for the hearing impaired or is this for another use?

Hey guys, thanks for your replies, but it's not quite what I was looking for.

There's going to be multiple presentations going on in this hall, I'd like to make an area of some sort, where one person would be talking from somewhere in the hall, and the headphones from the station would let you listen to it from this station, like multiple headphones for multiple people.

It's hard to describe, but in simplicity, a station with headphones that links to a microphone and then transmits in realtime what the person is saying from the microphone to the headphones, I'm not sure what a box for connecting multiple headphones and a microphone would be called though...

If you're going to have a bunch of small presentations going on in a hall where each presenter needs to be amplified to their own audience of 10 people, I'm confused. Why does the presenter have to be so far away that they need to be amplified? Why does it have to be headphones, and not a small speaker turned up to an appropriate level?

I feel that 10 sets of headphones is going to create a giant cable mess very quickly and won't be feasible.

There is no such thing as 'cheap' and 'wireless' either.

We need more details, and I think we could make some better recommendations. You must be prepared for an answer that may not fit your vision - it may simply not be possible, and the setup of the room might have to be rethought.

A microphone, a small mixer and a pair of eight channel headphone amplifiers and headphones, along with the appropriate cabling will do what your asking and at what I'd consider a reasonable price. As Silas eluded, I think that there's is more to this than I'm understanding though.

Wouldn't this be like one of those silent nightclubs eg Glastonbury.

So presenter uses mic, into small console, out to wireless transmitter; wireless headphones pickup the signal and you're done.

Not cheap though.

I'm imagining a situation where there is high background noise or, presenters are not allowed to exceed a certain volume; David may be looking for a way to get his message heard clearly.

How about using a tour guide system? I think that is what you are looking for.
There are a few manufacturers that make these kind of products.

One product that I have used in the past is made by Sennheiser:

http://sennheiser.de/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/professional_tour-guide-systems_tourguide

It uses a wireless microphone and a special kind of headphone with a built in receiver. No additional receiver/mixer/transmitter needed.
They also have small bodypack receivers that you can use with any kind of earphones or headphones.
Doesn´t get any easier than this.

Marcus

edit: unfortunately this is not really a low cost solution. But there should be companies which rent this stuff.

Last edited: