M32 Family Multi-tracking… one step further with Waves Tracks Live

Kip Conner

Junior
Mar 13, 2011
Athens, GA
It's quite simple to multi-track to Standard ProTools.

Waves came out with tracking software that allows the basic 32 input wall to be broken. It records to wave and aiff so ideally it could be used to track and then dump into protools for mixing or stay there if you choose.

In my rig I have an M32, M32R and three DL16's so the consoles are synched down the line. Two DL16's carry the mic inputs and IEM outputs and the third is simply a converter for the FOH lines to return to the stage.

My question / issue is this… if I wanted to record some additional lines to take my track count up to 40 inputs how do I clock the extra device needed to expand. I would 32 inputs from the desk and then I would use another device such as an octa-capture to grab a couple of room/ambient mics. Tracks Live will see aggregate devices so I can should (in theory) be able to use them simultaneously.

99.9% of my shows allow for the rooms mics to be on the desk as part of the 32 inputs, but the one show I need to actually record needs more than 32.

On the SC48 I usually just create some busses to simplify the recording, but you can't send busses to the direct outs on the M32.

If this doesn't work I could rent a pair of HDR's and take the Adat outs from the DL16's.

What do you guys think?

Re: M32 Family Multi-tracking… one step further with Waves Tracks Live

On the SC48 I usually just create some busses to simplify the recording, but you can't send busses to the direct outs on the M32.

- not sure if this will help you
If not using the P16s - you can send busses to the P16's and the P16's to the card out

It's quite simple to multi-track to Standard ProTools.

Waves came out with tracking software that allows the basic 32 input wall to be broken. It records to wave and aiff so ideally it could be used to track and then dump into protools for mixing or stay there if you choose.

In my rig I have an M32, M32R and three DL16's so the consoles are synched down the line. Two DL16's carry the mic inputs and IEM outputs and the third is simply a converter for the FOH lines to return to the stage.

My question / issue is this… if I wanted to record some additional lines to take my track count up to 40 inputs how do I clock the extra device needed to expand. I would 32 inputs from the desk and then I would use another device such as an octa-capture to grab a couple of room/ambient mics. Tracks Live will see aggregate devices so I can should (in theory) be able to use them simultaneously.

99.9% of my shows allow for the rooms mics to be on the desk as part of the 32 inputs, but the one show I need to actually record needs more than 32.

If this doesn't work I could rent a pair of HDR's and take the Adat outs from the DL16's.

What do you guys think?

If I understand you rig correctly you use a M32 at FOH and a M32R at MON?

If so you can buy Dante cards for both, have them both hit a proper switch, and then choose which tracks hit the computer in Dante Controller, up to 64 I believe.

Jason

That's a great idea! I'm not and never plan to use the P16 feature on the FOH desk.

Last edited:
The Dante solution could work, but it would be somewhat pricey.

It is true that Dante will do 64x64. However, the Dante cards for the X32/M32 are 32x32 not 64x64. You would need a Dante Card in both of your consoles, and 1 or 2 Cisco SG300-10 or similar switches. Additionally, you would need to be able to patch the extra inputs into one of your consoles if there is space. That might be challenging if you normally patch 1 to 1 for FOH/MON , as the M32 routing is broken into groups of 8. In that case you would have to put one of the Dante cards in something like an X32R to use as an interface. YMMV

-JP

The aggregate device drive will handle clocking one to the other as far as I can tell.