M7CL 48k Clock and Vertec V5 Presets

Jan 15, 2011
I did a search and didn't yield much for results. Since the M7CL only clocks at 48k, and the Vertec V5 presets need to be clocked at 96k, what is the best way to interface a digital signal between the two. The easiest way would be to have an analog link...but who wants that... I am thinking in the AES world, but cobranet on the HD's is a possibility as well.

Re: M7CL 48k Clock and Vertec V5 Presets

Just out of curiosity, how does a set of speaker presets have a clock rate? But in terms of AES connections it is not an issue to connect an M7CL running at 48K to another device, say the BSS366s that we use running at 96k, and have them get along handily.

Just out of curiosity, how does a set of speaker presets have a clock rate? But in terms of AES connections it is not an issue to connect an M7CL running at 48K to another device, say the BSS366s that we use running at 96k, and have them get along handily.

FIR settings like Vertec V5 have to run at the sample rate they were designed for, or they don't work.

Itech HDs have sample rate conversion on the digital inputs, so running 48k into them is not an issue at all.

The only thing you won't easily be able to do is run Cobranet at 96k, so you probably won't be able to use Cobranet at all. See my 'amp rant' thread, I had this issue and abandoned Cobranet altogether.

Thanks Silas, I missed the on board sample rate conversion on the HD's.

This is the reason the digital inputs have a higher latency than the analog inputs. If there was no SRC and the Itech DSP had to be locked to the source, there theoretically would be no input latency (but there would still be processing latency).

For what it's worth, the A/D converters in the I-Tech HDs are pretty good. On a recent gig, after having a cabling issue with my AES network, I went to all analog and was still very happy with the product. I have, however, found there is a noticeable difference between the analog outputs of an M7 and the AES output.

For what it's worth, the A/D converters in the I-Tech HDs are pretty good. On a recent gig, after having a cabling issue with my AES network, I went to all analog and was still very happy with the product. I have, however, found there is a noticeable difference between the analog outputs of an M7 and the AES output.

I am far from a purist, but even I have noticed this. Using the AES out on an M7 is worth the trouble if you can do it...