Marty McCann

Re: Marty McCann

It's probably about time. I suspect Marty has stayed past the typical retirement age because he was my age now when I met him over 20 years ago.

He's tried to educate at least 2 generations of dealers and end users, and he's done it with clear demonstrations and accessible information.

If today is your last day at work, Marty, happy retirement! Go fishing or something.... :D

The last time I talked with Marty, a few months ago, he was looking forward to retirement. I suspect he will miss the interaction with people he got from his seminar training.

Marty probably has more real world "likes" than Justin Bieber has "Facebook likes". :)

He was an ambassador for Peavey and will be difficult (impossible?) to replace.

JR

{edit- now that he's retired I can help him tune his oddball hand drum (don't recall what it is called) /edit]

It's probably about time. I suspect Marty has stayed past the typical retirement age because he was my age now when I met him over 20 years ago.

He's tried to educate at least 2 generations of dealers and end users, and he's done it with clear demonstrations and accessible information.

If today is your last day at work, Marty, happy retirement! Go fishing or something.... :D

I'll echo Tim's sentiments here. I think that even if you didn't own any Peavey gear, after attending a Marty McCann seminar, you had a new respect for the company, and probably learned a few tricks you could put to use on some future job.

I'm trying to figure out how long ago it was that I met him here in Halifax. He did one demo using a then state-of-the-art digital recorder: a Sony PCM F1 or variation. This was pre-DAT or recordable CDs, so earlier than 1987. I think perhaps the new, hot Peavey product was the HDH speakers and processors.

GTD

I don't know Marty personally but I have read many of his forum posts and writings. I have learned a lot from him and I know he will be greatly missed by the members of the peavey forum. Peavey is losing a great talent and educator.

I'm so relieved that the story is that Marty is RETIRING and not something more dire. Way too much of that reported hereabouts lately.

Marty was such a good teacher that he could actually get MI store salesmen "get it", at least most of the time.

He always tried to show the value of Peavey "product" but taught basic principles in his seminars and demonstrations that anyone paying attention could apply to any brand of gear.

Truly hope he enjoys the rest of a long, healthy life.

Heard a rumor Marty McCann over at Peavey is going to retire today. Should this be true best of luck and enjoy!

Douglas R. Allen

I remember the first time I met Marty...I was living in Meridian and had a band with a few barely 20-somethings, and we were playing at a place called the Enterprise. We had this makeshift PA that was basically built out of parts that had been hijacked from the Peavey factory by well-mening friends. We were having some problems with the sound and a gentleman introduced himself to me and asked if he could help. I said something like, "its probably just this pile of Peavey shit". He didn't flinch and managed to get everything sounding halfway decent. Later on, one of the band guys told me "I can't believe you said that...do you know who that was?" Of course, it was Marty. He came out a few more times when I was still in Meridian, one time bringing a White RTA and 31 band EQ to ring out our monitors (this was in the mid 70's when those type of things barely existed). Then, Marty gave me the prototypes of the first bass and guitar from their new musical instrument venture to check out for a few weeks (he trusted me to take care of them even though I was a broke musician with no permanent address).

Marty has obviously enjoyed a career he loved and deserves the accolades he received here and elsewhere; hope he enjoys his retirement. BTW, the drummer of our group, Dudley Tardo, later became the famed drummer of the HouseRockers, featured in the documentary "Last of the Mississippi Juke Joints".

The last time I ran into Marty, Dudley was there too, in a Meridian club celebrating an album release (Kenny Suire's band IIRC ?)

I recall late night road trips to Jackson to hear one of Dudley's bands playing at the Subway(?), but that was years ago. I don't party that hard these days.

JR

I remember Kenny Suire, gutarist, vocalist...did he also work for Peavey? Seems like most of the musicians in Meridian worked there at one time or another. The Subway Lounge was in the basement of the old Summers Hotel, which was a popular stopover place for Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, James Brown and other black entertainers in the pre-integration days in MS. The old hotel was finally torn down in 2004, and the Subway Lounge is but a memory. The one visit I made I will never forget...there was no liquor available at the club itself, but you'd go to a house next door and knock on the door and they'd serve you whatever you wanted and you'd carry it back to the club. Got to sit in with Dudley and the band for a few songs.

Subway Lounge

I remember Kenny Suire, gutarist, vocalist...did he also work for Peavey? Seems like most of the musicians in Meridian worked there at one time or another. The Subway Lounge was in the basement of the old Summers Hotel, which was a popular stopover place for Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, James Brown and other black entertainers in the pre-integration days in MS. The old hotel was finally torn down in 2004, and the Subway Lounge is but a memory. The one visit I made I will never forget...there was no liquor available at the club itself, but you'd go to a house next door and knock on the door and they'd serve you whatever you wanted and you'd carry it back to the club. Got to sit in with Dudley and the band for a few songs.

Subway Lounge

Yup, at the Subway, I also seem to recall a last call practice, where you could buy a tub full of beers covered in ice, so the music would keep going all night, and you didn't have to go home or go dry. :)

JR