Measuring and dealing with low frequency RF / magnetic induction?

Scott Helmke

Junior
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
www.scotthelmke.com
Not sure what section to put this in... move if appropriate.

OK, so I had a fun "RF tech" site visit yesterday. Theatre teching a new long-running show, with some electric winches pulling video screens up and down. They were having problems with the screens losing signal/sync when the motors were in operation. So, since somebody mentioned "RF interference", they called for somebody to come and sniff around.

I brought a TTi PSA 2740 RF spectrum analyzer and my usual case of tools. We went up to the grid and I sat around trying to find interference whenever a motor moved. The spectrum analyzer didn't show anything, and in fact these hoists (not chain motors, but double cable reels and a big motor on a chassis about 3 feet long) were completely encased in metal, etc. They'd tried building a Faraday cage with screening, which hadn't helped. They'd gotten some improvement by having an electrician connect an extra ground to the motors, using what looked like #6 back to a power panel.

OK, so I had plan B to look for magnetic fields and lower frequency stuff. I pulled out my Fluke scopemeter 120, and hooked up just a loose coil of wire. Sure enough, when the motors moved I saw some activity. But there was also some similar stuff happening just with lighting moves.

Since they were doing tech rehearsals and not sitting around moving the motors at my request, I had an hour or so sitting there staring at the setup and thinking about it. Finally, I measured voltage between the winch chassis and a huge beam running a few inches away, and saw up to half a volt of activity (nasty stepper motor sorts of waveforms) when that motor moved. Ohm reading between the same points was only 3-4 ohms.

Back to the video screens. Because of the movement, they were only able to feed the screens with something really small. They were using DVI over Cat5, and mentioned that the backup option would be fiber. No conduit around the cabling, of course. So it's plausible that there's a big common mode signal hitting the wire and swamping the balun, or even getting the balanced wiring a bit unbalanced. Symptoms were things like "unable to sync" type messages on the screens.

Thinking about the grounding, they had the extra ground running some 20-30 feet after it left the motors and going off to a panel. The control/power cables ran off a different way. Remember that I measured a half-volt of hashy motor stuff even with that grounding, compared to the giant beam. So that's current flow over the grounding wire, and current flow produces magnetic fields around the wire. Enough to cause the problems? I don't know.

My recommendation was
a) you've got a solution with the fiber optic, that's a pretty safe choice.
b) grounds should be as short and heavy as possible - go right from the winch chassis to that beam a few inches away, possibly a ground at each end of the chassis.

EDIT:They were in tech rehearsals, so "maybe we can try that later tonight". I don't know if the grounding helped, or even if it got done.

Re: Measuring and dealing with low frequency RF / magnetic induction?

So, now the questions:

Does the above scenario ring a bell with anyone? Did I miss some cool opportunity?

With my loop "antenna" on the scopemeter, and with the measurements I took, was I more likely seeing magnetic field stuff or just low frequency (audio band up to a few hundred kHz?) RF?

Any recommendations for things I can use with my trusty scopemeter? I already have a few feet of wire I carry for building special cables onsite, so I can build that short loop again.

Scott,

Are you sure they are using Cat-5 and not, say, Cat-5e or Cat-6? I think 6 is shielded, and 5e might be... Depending on how they've structured the signal running through those cables that could be the problem.

I don't know exactly what they were using - I'd assume Cat5e, but they didn't say (no system designer onsite) and the video wiring was all hung and not accessible. They did say that it was not shielded, and I've heard from other people that Cat6 is not suitable for DVI.

I don't know exactly what they were using - I'd assume Cat5e, but they didn't say (no system designer onsite) and the video wiring was all hung and not accessible. They did say that it was not shielded, and I've heard from other people that Cat6 is not suitable for DVI.

The default versions of all the above are un-shielded (UTP). You can buy shielded but then you need special connectors too. I am running video over Cat6 with baluns. They are "specced" for Cat5 though I expect that the Cat5 was the only common cabled around when they made the spec.

I'm guessing that the winch mototr is on a variable speed drive. The drive output is a series of steps approximating a sinewave, which is probably coupling into the video. Put your scope on the motor feed and see what I mean. Does the motor AC feed run alongside the video feed? It could capacitively couple noise from the drive output into the video.

There are filters available that are designed to clean up the output of variable speed drives. MTE Corporation may be able to suggest something, but the fiber solution is probably going to be cheaper.