Meyer UPM response anamoly

Riley Casey

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
WDC in the USA
www.espsound.com
I acquired a number of Meyer UPM speakers a while back and started to use them recently. I was aware that they require a processor as designed by Meyer and as I often do with such things I decided that I could get in the ballpark by making a transfer function measurement and building an EQ to fit. I was more than a bit surprised at the response of the raw boxes, particularly the large hole centered around 3.5 kHz. This strikes me as more than a bit strange for a box with a pair of 5" drivers and piezo tweeter. I gather that the passive network in the UPM low passes one of the low drivers so that only one is working at the mid band and that the piezo is probably crossed in fairly high, say around 7 kHz or higher. This only compounds my surprise at the raw response. Anyone here a UPM maven, has anyone ever run a measurement on the UPM processor? Very curious at this point. These are very handy boxes from a form factor perspective but they sure require a lot of unusual EQ. I've posted a screen shot of the average of six UPMs ( yellow trace ) measured at 4 ft along with a Galaxy Hotspot ( orange trace ) as a comparison since it has a pair of similar sized drivers.

Attachments

• UPMs x6 vs Hotspot.png
    UPMs x6 vs Hotspot.png
    101.5 KB · Views: 1
Re: Meyer UPM response anamoly

Riley,

Two things do not add up : You refferring to HF units as 'piezzo' tweeters and the measurement traces.

UPMs enclose high performance metal dome tweeters which are something completely different than piezzos.
On the other note, UPMs should measure FLAT within 3dB, and should sound like it too. Same goes for phase trace.

UPMs should sound nothing short from awesome, anything else means somebody messed with them.
I heard them a lot of times and I can say with certainty, that these are no joke.
Maybe previous owner messed up with them and actually replaced the original HF with piezzos, who knows.

With respect

Edit : On 'the other forum' a member brought the fact to my attention, namely, you are talking about UPM1s and I was referring to UPM1P. Riley, I'm sorry for the 'jump'.

Last edited:

Not sure why it's hard to grasp the meaning of my original post. Guess my expository skills arent what they once were, I'm not surprised that speakers that are meant to be deployed with a processor don't sound right, I am surprised at the characteristics of exactly what about them doesn't sound right,

Riley,

You bought Meyer loudspeakers without the processor, and found they had funny frequency response?

View attachment 3261

Riley, I bet if you measured off axis you'd find it had a funny hole at a different frequency. When a loudspeaker is designed with processing in mind, certain advantages can be had that may cause response aberrations, which is no problem if you know those can be fixed. There are some boxes that sound OK when run with their raw drivers, since they were designed with the knowledge that most users would have nothing more than a fixed slope crossover. These are not they!