Mic hygiene

Re: Mic hygiene

I keep a small bottle of mouthwash and a MF cloth in a ziplok bag packed in my mic case. A quick wipe as the mics go up keeps them minty fresh.

No wipe or foam on the surface really does anything but make the gross crude stuck in the foam smell better. Best answer is to unscrew the windscreen ball, fill a shallow pan with warm water and a bit of dish detergent and just plain wash it. Don't abuse the foam, just agitate the ball in the solution, use a toothbrush on the metal mesh if the crude is really bad. Rinse out with warm water and let dry on a warm surface. You'll be both gratified and a bit grossed out by how grey the water in the pan turns by the end of this process for some of the worst mics. Ultimate version of this is to use an ultra sonic cleaner tank.

Last edited:

That bad idea probably never occurred to most people here. Even putting a sponge in the dishwasher is a bad idea, it just continues to leach out crud and bacteria through the entire cycle. Even if you have a "sterilize" cycle, the soapy crud may be close to sterile but is not likely to be completely sterilized at sub-boiling temperatures.

No wipe or foam on the surface really does anything but make the gross crude stuck in the foam smell better. Best answer is to unscrew the windscreen ball, fill a shallow pan with warm water and a bit of dish detergent and just plain wash it. Don't abuse the foam, just agitate the ball in the solution, use a toothbrush on the metal mesh if the crude is really bad. Rinse out with warm water and let dry on a warm surface. You'll be both gratified and a bit grossed out by how grey the water in the pan turns by the end of this process for some of the worst mics. Ultimate version of this is to use an ultra sonic cleaner tank.

This. I have a few sets of replacement windscreens so I just rotate them. Switch then for clean screens then hand wash and air dry the dirty ones. I chuck them every now and then. At $8ish each they are almost a consumable.o

Last edited: