Mic stand billing and transport

Harry Brill Jr.

Freshman
Jan 8, 2015
What are folks charging for mic stands? I carry my own mics sometimes and in fact just bought a whole new kit. Tired of dealing with junk stands so I bought those too. What should I be charging for them? 10% of cost?
I think inhale seen every possible at to transport them. I have my preference "Drake style), but since my son and I have to load them ourselves and take them to the truck, I can't really go that route as the case would weigh as much or more than the stands. If anyone has any experience with any method that doesn't allow the stands to touch during transport, I'm all ears. I am also interested in the K&M 6 stand bags. Do these allow the booms to remain on? Just not sure what to do with the straights if I went with soft cases. Straights are large base.

The K&M bags have separate pockets for each stand, with a little bit of training you can slide the whole stand including boom into the pockets from one end without undoing the velcro that closes the pockets.
I use one for my tour package and load the bag into a bigger flightcase.

All my large stands are tripods with boom.

Sent from my iPad

I include a stand and 20' xlr in my mic rental price. If a customer just wants a stand or a bunch of extras then it's $2 for an On Stage or similar EL cheapo and $5 for K&M.

I think it's made by On Stage but there is a nice bag that holds 3 round bases and slots for poles. I have a few, I'll see if I can dig up what it is.

The K&M bags have separate pockets for each stand, with a little bit of training you can slide the whole stand including boom into the pockets from one end without undoing the velcro that closes the pockets.
I use one for my tour package and load the bag into a bigger flightcase.

All my large stands are tripods with boom.

Sent from my iPad

Are they padded so the stands aren't banging into each other? These will be shipping with common carriers. I have acquired an overall hardware case which is a hard shell, so now it's a matter of keeping them from banging into each other. The K&M is pretty expensive unless it's padded. I assume it opens like a book and holds 3 stands per side. I also have 8 straights which pretty large bases.

I think it's made by On Stage but there is a nice bag that holds 3 round bases and slots for poles. I have a few, I'll see if I can dig up what it is.

I have these bags, and they are very nice. Unfortunately, they don't allow the stands to be kept with booms attached. The stands have slots for each, and the booms then fit inside the bag, but not in individual slots.

I have these bags, and they are very nice. Unfortunately, they don't allow the stands to be kept with booms attached. The stands have slots for each, and the booms then fit inside the bag, but not in individual slots.

So for the people that have been separating the uprights from the bases, any issues?

I've always been advised not to separate because of the risk of cross threading.

Any real world experience with this?

I am looking for a not too bulky option for transporting my round base stands.
Thanks.

Cross threading is an operator error. I have NEVER cross threaded a stand. I have seen it done by idiots though, on a regular basis.

It's also worth distinguishing between crossthreading, which is operator error, thread wear from too many mate/unmate cycles, and thread damage (perhaps from getting whacked against something). Just leaving the threads mated tends to prevent all of the above. As far as real-world experience goes, I can say that I've seen lighting pipes (rather heavier threads than a mic stand) with thread damage from handling (and shops that store couplers on the pipes to prevent said damage).