Mic switchers. 1 in, 2 outs (singing OR on-stage communication)

I want to use 1 mic and have 2 sends, 1 for Singing and 1 for band communication (calling out songs and such). I see that Radial offers the HotShot DM1, which looks like it would work exactly what I need it for.

Are there any alternatives to this? I like the momentary switch feature for the communication line.

Re: Mic switchers. 1 in, 2 outs (singing OR on-stage communication)

Pro Co makes one also. I've used both as well as some custom ones made by Clair. If it being used with a dynamic or wireless mic, I prefer the passive (Radial) version. No batteries or power supply to worry about.

I saw this somewhere else and have no experience with it, but it looks like Radial announced the Relay XO at NAMM. Seems to be the same thing but can be placed offstage and controlled with a remote. Seems nice for a wireless vocal, probably unnecessary for a standard setup. Depends on how you want to wire things.

Winter NAMM 2014: Radial Relay Xo

Proco "Panic Button".
Seen it in the wild, but I don't own one.
Can't go wrong with a Radial...

These are the ones I'm aware of. I've used the Radials and they are, build and function-wise, as good as everything else they build. I can't speak for any of the others below.

A/B style:
Passive
Radial Hotshot DM1 (momentary)
Radial Hotshot ABo (latching)
Active
ProCo Panic Button (configurable)
Whirlwind SelectorXL (configurable)

Edit: Helps to have a 2nd cup of coffee. Just realized that you are looking for an A/B rather than a push to talk.

Non-A/B style:
Passive
Rolls MM11 Pro (momentary)
Rolls MS111 (configurable)
Whirlwind Micmute PT (momentary)
Whirlwind Micmute PP (latching)

Active
ProCo Power Mute (configurable)
Whirlwind Micmute PX (configurable)

Last edited:

Be careful with using a Y cable and feeding one side through a mute switch. If the mute shorts pins 2 and 3, the signal will be muted everywhere. Not applicable in this A/B situation but I've seen a setup where someone wanted their mic to be in the bands ears all the time, but wanted to mute just the feed to FOH with the switch.

Chris