Micing Orchestra for broadcast.

John Chiara

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
Troy, NY
Might have some shows coming up mixing for live broadcast with a small orchestra in a 2400 sq/ft room. They don't want mics visible in the video. There are lighting bars above and around the stage. Any ideas?

Re: Micing Orchestra for broadcast.

How small of an orchestra? And is the broadcast of JUST the orchestra? Or are they supporting a bigger show? Are they going to be doing close ups of the orchestra players?

Can you use lavs on the strings? and small clip on mics for winds and brass?

Otherwise I'd try to mic it with a standard orchestral recording mic set up with the mics placed outside of the camera shots.

But for broadcast I really prefer close or sections micing.

Might have some shows coming up mixing for live broadcast with a small orchestra in a 2400 sq/ft room. They don't want mics visible in the video. There are lighting bars above and around the stage. Any ideas?

John...

Doggone pesky mic stands...shoot you're durned video around the single stand necessary, you videots!

That said, a properly suspended ORTF pair of decent SDC's will probably suffice. Try to get them slung about 12' above the stage, centered on the group and (guesstimate) 6' behind the conductor.

I've also had good results from a pair of Bartlett PCC's spaced 15' apart.

Good luck. Keep it simple.

John...

Doggone pesky mic stands...shoot you're durned video around the single stand necessary, you videots!

That said, a properly suspended ORTF pair of decent SDC's will probably suffice. Try to get them slung about 12' above the stage, centered on the group and (guesstimate) 6' behind the conductor.

I've also had good results from a pair of Bartlett PCC's spaced 15' apart.

Good luck. Keep it simple.

Thanks Dick,
This was my first thought from doing a number of big band Jazz recordings.

It will be easier to keep mics out of the shots if you use a traditional recording technique of mics in front of the orchestra. Which specific technique you use will depend on the room and the requirements of the broadcast team. Do you need mono compatibility (probably a good idea for broadcast)?

Spaced omnis work wonderfully in some rooms for some music, and will be very easy to keep out of the camera shots, but is not mono-compatible. For that matter, ORTF and NOS aren't really mono-compatible either. If you need to maintain mono compatibility, you need to stick with a coincident technique (XY, Mid-side, Blumlein pair).

Remember, the broadcast guys are likely going to be using more than just the wide, full-orchestra shot, so close micing or group micing may actually make it more likely for a microphone to end up in a shot.

It will be easier to keep mics out of the shots if you use a traditional recording technique of mics in front of the orchestra. Which specific technique you use will depend on the room and the requirements of the broadcast team. Do you need mono compatibility (probably a good idea for broadcast)?

Spaced omnis work wonderfully in some rooms for some music, and will be very easy to keep out of the camera shots, but is not mono-compatible. For that matter, ORTF and NOS aren't really mono-compatible either. If you need to maintain mono compatibility, you need to stick with a coincident technique (XY, Mid-side, Blumlein pair).

Remember, the broadcast guys are likely going to be using more than just the wide, full-orchestra shot, so close micing or group micing may actually make it more likely for a microphone to end up in a shot.

Oops. Forgot about mono compat. If I need that, I just default to a VP88 despite the extra work to get it "clean".