Midas Pro 1 / DL153 - ESD Problem

Roland Schilcher

Freshman
Jan 19, 2014
Hello,

I've got in the past some audio dropouts with this setup. Never could explain why this was happening. It also happens random. So in the last days I did some research on the internet and found out that there is an ESD problem with the X32 and S16. After this, and discussions on PSW forums, I decided to try the same on my Pro1. You can find my video about the test here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woCvQ3ECNgM

Does anyone have similar issues? I heard that DL251 should be not affected. Can any Pro Series user try this with his setup?

Thanks.

Regards from Austria,
Roland

Re: Midas Pro 1 / DL153 - ESD Problem

They are all affected, the redundancy in the Midas AES50 setup just makes it less obvious.

You say in the video that someone should fix this problem, but I gave you the solution on the other forum. Also, the video I gave you the link to shows the solution - Use a shielded network cable with properly attached ethercons.

You are inducing several thousands of volts into a small signal data cable and this will always affect the transfer quality eventually. As you can see it doesn't happen all the times...

One more thing, don't use some ethernet cable with a pvc sleeve since the sleeve will conduct static electricity.

This is old news and has been verified by the community as well...

You say in the video that someone should fix this problem, but I gave you the solution on the other forum. Also, the video I gave you the link to shows the solution - Use a shielded network cable with properly attached ethercons.

You are inducing several thousands of volts into a small signal data cable and this will always affect the transfer quality eventually. As you can see it doesn't happen all the times...

One more thing, don't use some ethernet cable with a pvc sleeve since the sleeve will conduct static electricity.

This is old news and has been verified by the community as well...

Robert, thanks for your help, really, much appreciate that! But for me this isn't a 100% solution. I'm doing a lot of festivals here and I can't get always the right cable. It's a issue by the stagebox itself. Other consoles do not have this problem.

I love the Midas, but if this problem is happening at every second show, I'm losing my clients! And that's why I'm saying someone has to fix this. If someones ears get damaged because the crack was too loud on monitors or PA, what should I do? Thats my problem...

So, if someone can test this with a DL251, that would be great.

Thanks.

And this ESD problem is really new to us here in Austria...

The answer is STP cable. It's not just Midas, we use it with all brands of digital consoles we work with. Is it impossible to buy 300 meters of ruggedized Cat5e and Ethercons, cut and terminate to 3 cables? Even have a spare spool and connectors for redundancy?

The issue and fix took time here as well. Thankfully it's just the cost of some cabling.

I love the Midas, but if this problem is happening at every second show, I'm losing my clients! And that's why I'm saying someone has to fix this. If someones ears get damaged because the crack was too loud on monitors or PA, what should I do? Thats my problem...

Compressors/Limiters! I always top my monitors off with heavy compression/limiting, soft knee into max compression ratio. Not enough to affect normal operation, but enough to stop runaway, ear-damaging feedback and other unwanted ear-splitting noises.