Midas pro series - insert chanel into existing layout

Hi, A question for either the console or the offline editor.

Lets say you've named all your channels, VCA's etc. For the sake of an example lets say i've got 2 guitars and 2 keyboard channels in a POP group - G1, G2, K1, K2, K3, K4.

Situation changes and I now have another guitar in the show. Whilst I can easily create another channel and assign to the pop group, this then becomes G1, G2, K1, K2, K3, K4, G3 because the default order is the channel number.

Is there a way to either change the order of channels in POP groups (or VCAs) - like drag and drop in the member list; or is there an "insert channel" option like the Avid venue series where a blank strip can be inserted pushing all other channels down one whilst retaining their physical IO patch. ?

Andrew

Re: Midas pro series - insert chanel into existing layout

With the Pop Group,you can put it in any order you want.You just hold down the pop group button and while clicking on each channel you want in the group and place them in the order you want.But as far as placing a new channel say after channel 5 and bumping everything else down the line,I don't think you can.But I have only had mine for a month so I'm still learning.Jason from Midas UK can give you the definative answer:e-mail him at [email protected]

Here is a link to the "other" popular audio forum and a post regarding lots of Midas Pro Series questions. Jason and Frank of Midas chime in quite often with answers to the questions that are presented. About halfway though the post there is this exact question and Jason explains why it isn't possible to insert channels.

Midas Pro Series Console Questions

Hope this helps.

Thanks and good luck.

Thanks for the link - have not been there since this forum started up. I found some good tips in that thread.

Randy I tried in the editor and no matter what order you add to the pop group, it puts it into ch# order.

On the console I tested assigning ch 3,4,2,5,1 into an empty pop group and when I recalled the group.. 1,2,3,4,5.

So it looks like it's always ch# order.

Andrew

It uses channel order. But I remember recalling Jason (I think) talking about that they were considering an option to have it show up "as selected".. Not sure it is currently a priority tough.. I wouldn't lose my mind if there are 4 keyboards between my guitars. Use different color labelling to prevent reading mistakes.

Really valid question tough :) I could see why you ask.

It would be a nice to have feature on the editing screen to drag and drop the order in the member list. It's not a show stopper but.. if you were designing a show file from scratch you wouldn't normally have say guitar, keys, guitar; but if you've got an unexpected addition to the show.. then you're still kind stuck with it unless I guess you clear a channel and then do cut & paste and move all the channels up one repetitively.

Andrew

It would be a nice to have feature on the editing screen to drag and drop the order in the member list. It's not a show stopper but.. if you were designing a show file from scratch you wouldn't normally have say guitar, keys, guitar; but if you've got an unexpected addition to the show.. then you're still kind stuck with it unless I guess you clear a channel and then do cut & paste and move all the channels up one repetitively.

Andrew

Guys,

Just to clarify, we fully understand the application and the reasoning behind it. As I've already said we are looking into this kind of functionality, but as you can imagine it would be a fundamental and major shift in the architecture and software of our consoles. The way VCA/POP groups work has changed since day one of the XL8, so it's not just a couple of lines of code to be added.

Rest assured its on the list.........

Thanks,

Jason