MIDI controller to augment LS9

Tim Padrick

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
Indianapolis
www.padrick.net
Ok, this is a junior varsity question at best :-/

I want a MIDI controller that's all knobs, or knobs and faders, such as the Behringer BCF2000 or BCR2000, or Mackie C4Pro - only something that's not from either of those companies :) What else is out there that's at least as capable as the BCF2000?

Can these what I want (control particular aux sends on particular channels, control particular aux masters, etc.) without hours of manual data entry?

Re: MIDI controller to augment LS9

Ok, this is a junior varsity question at best :-/

I want a MIDI controller that's all knobs, or knobs and faders, such as the Behringer BCF2000 or BCR2000, or Mackie C4Pro - only something that's not from either of those companies :) What else is out there that's at least as capable as the BCF2000?

Can these what I want (control particular aux sends on particular channels, control particular aux masters, etc.) without hours of manual data entry?

Not what you asked for, but very cool device, especially for those using a computer for "remote FOH" at gigs.

http://frontierdesign.com/Products/AlphaTrack

Thanks. They look nice, but it's $800 for an 8 fader, 8 button unit. Yikes.

Unless you get an MI piece like the Uli or Mackie that's the price of poker. Of course if you really want sticker shock this is what some of the big dog project studios use, SSL Nucleus. Just about US$5k... ;) http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Nucleus/ or a bit more toward the commercial side, SSL Matrix, only about US$23k. http://www.frontendaudio.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=9999-07085&click=18920

Any of the more comprehensive, non MI controllers are going to be a grand or better. Euphonix has a line but it goes from a grand to about three grand.

i must concur with all the above posters. honestly, for the money i'd just buy a bcr2000 or two. i've got a slew of them that i'm using with 01v/96s to make a personal monitor mixing system. they've been reasonably reliable, and they're so cheap, if it breaks you just get another one. and i have to say that so long as what you want to control actually spits out the midi signal, these are stupid easy to program...

Brian, how do you handle more than eight channels? Can you page through? Will the faders o. The control surface follow the faders on the console?

well, my application is a little different since i'm using them as remotes for personal monitor mixing. sort of a poor man's aviom system. i've got BCR2000's [the one with only knobs] and each page gives me 32 knobs that i've got assigned to aux levels for each mix. dial up the page/mix you want and turn the knobs...

to answer your question more directly... BCR and BCF versions of these are very similar. you get a whole bunch of knobs and buttons that you can assign to pretty much anything midi. and i do mean a whole bunch. either unit has a top row of 8 knobs with 4 pages so that's 32 knobs. below that is 16 buttons. then you get 8 motorized faders on the BCF and 24 additional knobs on the BCR. there's 32 presets of these available, and changes on each preset are automatically saved in a buffer so you can flip back and forth between pages without having to constantly hit 'store'. if you hook them up bidirectionally [which i don't] then the faders/knobs on the BCR/F will track whatever the console does and vice versa.

they've got a really easy to use 'learn' feature so as long as the desk you want to control spits out controller info you can teach the BCR/F pretty much any command. there are also programs available to custom program all sorts of fancy midi strings.

usual disclaimer: i don't work for 'the B-word' or anything. i've just used these things with yamaha audio consoles and they work well and are stupid cheap...