Mismatched SRXs OK ?

Mike Diack

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
New Zealand
I have more or less got out of live S/R for a life of soldering irons & oscilloscopes, but I still like to do the odd gig just for the hell of it, hence maintain a small PA. For tiny gigs I use SRX712Ms and some little FBT monitors. Somewhat bigger gigs get SRX725s and the 712Ms become monitors. A regular 1500 person outdoor gig gets 712Ms, 725s and Labsubs but I have to borrow an extra pair of 725s from a friend to have enough coverage. I'd rather be self sufficient so I am wondering if (since I have labsubs covering the low end up to 90Hz) I would get away with a 725 and a 722 aside instead of a pair of 725s for the outdoor scenario without quality compromise.
Cheers
M

Re: Mismatched SRXs OK ?

Are you using the 2 cabinets to get a wider field of coverage? Mixing speakers wouldn't create the ideal scenario, but if you crossed over for the 722's, it would work. You may get some weird phase issues in some areas because of the different speaker sizes. But in reality, for many events, this isn't going to matter.

The HF drivers are the same, so that eliminates a lot of the possible issues from varying phase response. The most likely differences will be in the upper end of the woofers' phase response, but their coverage should be sufficiently narrow at those upper frequencies that there won't be an issue, as long as both boxes are splayed properly.

So essentially what Brian said: you'll be fine.

Did you ever think of using SRX712m as outfills? Most of the difference in output between the 712m and 722 or 725 is in the low frequency range. Since those frequencies aren't very directional, using the SRX712ms as outfills and relying on the LF from the LABs and 725s pointed straight ahead would probably be fine. Most of the time, my front fills and outfills are high-passed much higher than the main speakers.

Most of the difference in output between the 712m and 722 or 725 is in the low frequency range.[/QUOTE said:
Actually there is a pretty big difference in the high freq drivers and horn used in the 722/725 and the 712m.

Actually there is a pretty big difference in the high freq drivers and horn used in the 722/725 and the 712m.

Oops- my error. I was under the impression that the HF driver was constant across the series, but the 712m uses a 2431 and the 725 uses a 2451 HF driver.

For outfills and front fills, like Brian said, they still might work. Mike, you should probably rent some different boxes and see how things work out for you.

Mike,

I would consider the smaller box "outfill" rather than part of the "mains". The last time I rolled presets for SRX boxes I found little similarity between different cabinets, you will need to power and process them separately. I would also add a shelving cut and/or HPF to the smaller box starting at a relatively high frequency (like, 400Hz) but gentle slope to take the load off the smaller box.

Its a bit of a wiring trick but, if you have the crossover and amps you could run the rig 4 way. Your labsubs as subs (obviously), the 15s in the 725s as lows, the 12s in the 722s as mids and the horns in the 722s and 725s as highs. That gets you out of the odd issues you might run into running 12s and 15s in the same passband but still gives you the wider dispersion from having horns in all 4 cabinets. I have done something very similar with SR4732s and SR4733s over SR4719s with decent results.