Mixer/Amp

Jamin Lynch

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
South Texas
I need a small inexpensive mixer/amp for low volume background music. They just want something simple to hook an iPod into. There needs to be 1-2 inputs with 2 outputs (or zones). I need to be able to control the volume in each zone separetly.

I was looking at the Crown 280MA, but it's 8 inputs and over $500. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

Re: Mixer/Amp

I know I'll get knocked for this... but I've been using a (cough) behringer 1002b mixer in several school installation situations.

It's $99 bucks, has rack ears, and 6 channels. Stereo, Left/Right output. It also has 2 other (labeled monitor and effect) busses, so you could in theory have 4 zones.

In cases where I have a shared stage between a gym and a multipurpose room on the other side -- the pan left/right allows the ability to designate any input to either 'zone.'

I also have been using xti1000 amps in these situations. All the dsp you could possibly want, dirt cheap, and the big selling point.... password protected setup. You can get full 3 year no fault warranty refurbs for $269 including shipping.

Total cost, $369

sounds like maybe what you are looking for?

Does the zone volume need to be controlled in each zone or just at the mixer amp. 70 volt system or direct.

No controllers in each zone. Volume will be controlled at the M/A. It can be 70v or direct. Prefer direct. There's only 4 speakers total.

The set up is to have low background music in the hallways of a small office. 2 speakers in the front hallway and 2 in the back hallway...that will be the 2 zones. The M/A will be located at the front reception desk. So need to keep it small, simple, easy to use.

If you want to go REALLY basic and limited get a simple stereo power amp and plug the stereo output of the I Pod directly into the amp. Granted one zone would the right channel and the other zone left, for back ground music probably not a big deal......unless you listen to a lot of Beatles ''stereoized'' mono recordings!!!!

The I-Pod would the drive most amps to plenty of level for back ground. You could always add a small mixer later for paging inputs etc. later one.