Moderate cost architectural dimming system?

TJ Cornish

Graduate
Jan 13, 2011
St. Paul, MN
My church is in need of a small to medium sized architectural dimming system - 10 20A circuits to start, would like to be able to expand to 24 channels eventually.

I've looked at the Leviton A-2000 series, and functionally it's perfect - good form factor (wall mount preferred), good architectural controls, DMX compatibility, etc. It's more money than I was hoping for.

I'd love to have an ETC Sensor rack, but I suspect it's a fair bit more than the A-2000 stuff. Is ETC Unison cheaper? What other systems that are similar in functionality to the Leviton A-2000 are out there?

We need it to be standalone capable - we don't want to have to rely on a lighting board to operate the lights. Are there architectural controls that work with ETC SmartPacks?

Are there any architectural control systems that can drive low cost dumb dimmers via DMX?

Thanks!

Re: Moderate cost architectural dimming system?

Have you looked at Applied (yes, the lift/roof people)? They make a series of dimmers that can be run via DMX or some wall mount stations.

What's your budget?

There aren't many players in the architectural rack/cabinet dimming market. The ones I know of are:
ETC (Unison)
Strand (a21 with Vison Net controls)
Lutron (Grafik Eye / GP panels)
Leviton

NSI used to have some stuff, but they were bought by Leviton, and I believe the lines have merged.

The budget is whatever is the cheapest reasonable product that will do the job. The Leviton A-2000 with a few wall scene controllers is $7Kish. I'd love to do it cheaper, but if not, the budget is $7K. Thanks guys. I'll look more at those options.