Monitor EQ on Midas Pro 3

Nick Torontali

Freshman
May 14, 2013
Our church just got a Midas Pro 3 and we are using "monitor mode". Everything works great, except we are getting the FOH EQ in our monitors. We want everything flat. Is there a quick fix for this?

Thanks!

-Nick

Re: Monitor EQ on Midas Pro 3

Our church just got a Midas Pro 3 and we are using "monitor mode". Everything works great, except we are getting the FOH EQ in our monitors. We want everything flat. Is there a quick fix for this?

Thanks!

-Nick

Nope. All sends/busses are picked downstream of the channel strip HPF/gate/EQ/compressor and this is fixed in the DSP. Midas figured that on a board of that caliber you're not going to be running monitors and house from the same console.

You can double patch input sockets to channels (effectively a digital 'Y' cable) and send monitors only from those alternate channels. You may run out of channels pretty quickly though.

Or, you can just have your engineer learn to mix so that any changes to the channel EQ reflect positively in the monitors. I don't know why you would want everything flat, usually that just results in a very muddy and buried mix.

Another possibility is to use the matrix mixer in the effects rack; send direct outs from channels to the matrix mixer and use that. This I think is a little more clunky and may not work but if you've not got spare channels, it may be a better option than having EQ in the wedge.

If you've got enough spare channels though, i'd do what Matt suggests and have a split monitor channel - a side benefit is that you can use the EQ on that channel for monitor purposes.

andrew

Nope. All sends/busses are picked downstream of the channel strip HPF/gate/EQ/compressor and this is fixed in the DSP. Midas figured that on a board of that caliber you're not going to be running monitors and house from the same console.

And if you're using channel strip EQ "correctly", to correct problems with the source, you'd want the same in house and monitors anyway.

And if you're using channel strip EQ "correctly", to correct problems with the source, you'd want the same in house and monitors anyway.

Try telling that the folks on the DL1608 forum that have been having kittens about the fact that the auxes are post EQ (as well as post comp). I would think though that with all this virtual routing that you could select the pickoffs on all these desks to be wherever you want and selectable globally or on a per channel basis. But it's probably easier said than done as far as the coding. The Venues let you do this to a degree with one caveat - when you select pre-EQ auxes & dynamics, you also get the channel pre-mute which is a bummer.

I'm not too familiar with the Pro3, but I've spent a good amount of time on the 2. I just sleuthed through the manual and it looks like in "Monitor Mode" for the Pro 3/6/9 it can be set so that one EQ is applied to all your mixes.

Monitor Mode is meant for when the console is being used discretely as a monitor console, so it makes sense that you'd want the ability to EQ pesky room frequencies and problems inherent to stage monitors with one EQ, then adjust the rest to taste.

If you run the Pro3 in it's default mode you'll lose the FOH EQ from your aux's.

Also, something on the Pro1/2(c) that's related: In the settings you can choose whether or not you want your stereo EQ to be applied to matrix buses, which is awesome when you bus distributed systems through matrices.

Don't know about the Pro 3,but on my Pro1,I patch the vocal channel to a second unused channel.I leave FOH volume down and use those channels strictly for my monitor channels and I can eq them seperately from the FOH vocal channels. If you need more info PM me and I'll put you in touch with Kyle at Midas USA.He's great at problem solving and can break it down so it's easy to understand.

I agree about double patching certain channels for monitors, such as a dynamic singer that you want to compress in the main mix but not their wedge.

But I think his problem is that the Stereo Graphic EQ is being applied to his Aux Bus Graphic EQs, not that his Channel EQ is being applied to both Stereo and Aux.

correct which problems ? For a lead vocalist in the house, I want the voice to be "right" - whatever that is. Ultimately that's my decision unless i've got the bands manager etc standing next to me telling me what it should sound like.

But on stage, "right" becomes whatever the lead vocalist wants to hear. This is a combination of wedge EQ, channel EQ and of course whatever spill he's getting from other sources on stage.

To help with feedback I can also use channel eq to do things like have a different high pass filter, use EQ to help tame feedback (eg a notch filter just for the vocal mic).

my 0.02 AUD...

Andrew