My favorite Christmas show.

Jack Arnott

Senior
Jan 29, 2011
Over the years I have done a lot of Christmas shows. Mostly I have not cared for the season, the commercialization, etc.
But working with the Lower Lights was different. I have been doing their Christmas shows for about 6 years. They are a ~25 piece group, made up of lots of different musicians, that all mostly record at one recording studio. June Audio. (The mostly rhythm guitar player, and band leader.)
For the first five years, the show was at the local Masonic Temple, quite a mind bend. A wonderfully weird venue, despite it's ancient electricity (and everything else.) This year the show moved to a much larger venue, because it is so popular, they kept booking more nights, and selling out, so they moved to a nicer place, and one that I haven't been in for a few years.

It took me a couple of years to figure out why I like this show so much. They address the sad side of Christmas. It is not at all Santa Baby, and Jingle Bells. And finally it made Christmas make a lot more sense. There has been a hole with all the happy happy jolly jolly, and fore mentioned commercialization that I have not acknowledged, or been aware of. That of those that are no longer around, and missed this time of year more than ever, because if no other time, I saw, or heard from them now.

The group is so much fun to work with, and such a challenge. 11 vocal mics, lots of DI's, two drummers (one mic each, cause 32 input cap), some multi instrumentalists, and several weird keyboards (submixed). When they get going of the second song, O Come All Ye Faithful, it starts out very mellow, but soon balloons on the first chorus into something I have never experienced. About 18 vocals, swelling through all the mics, with one counter melody, and such a powerful experience. I have never worked with so many individuals who all sing lead, but harmonize so well.

Anyway, I recorded a bit of the show, (had some space on one drive with me), and want to share it with you.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yu3952v4q7zkag/SONG05.WAV?dl=0
Merry Christmas, and here is to those that are no longer with us.