My first blown speaker (sigh)

frank kayser

Junior
Jan 11, 2011
Maryland suburbs of DC
Friday night, the woofer in an old EV FM12-2a let go. I'm in the process of doing a postmortem and am looking to do an analysis of cause. What I do know so far is that it is the original EV 12'' speaker, something is rubbing on the magnet, and the voice coil is open. Cone is intact and still attached to the vc, and spyder is intact.

A couple questions, if you please.

I'm assuming I can have the speaker reconed - providing any parts are available for this dinosaur. Any recommendations? Places to stay away from?

As an alternative, I can replace the driver. I doubt seriously I can find specific part-number replacement. How would I go about determining what replacement driver (EV or aftermarket) would be appropriate?

Now, back to the postmortem - and cause.

Of course, everything is 30+ years old. I'm assuming these things just don't fail with age unless the spyder or cone become damaged or disconnected.

Do speakers give any indication of an impending voice coil failure? I'm guessing if it is heat related, the vc would begin to pull apart and start scraping the magnet.

I'm relatively sure heat was not the primary issue as we use it on a small stage at relatively low volume. The failure was within the first five or ten minutes of the beginning of the show.

Now, big mistakes have been made with the speaker over the years - feedback and pops from hot plugging various inputs with the channel open.

Now I did make some mistakes that night as well - significant popping when guitarist plugged and unplugged active DI with the channel open - series of five or so as he went through the process during setup.

After the first song, they were asking for more monitor volume - Django-type guitar with mic and pickup. I brought the volume up and immediate feedback - nothing horrible, but louder more than I expected. I cut all channels but the one with the pickup, and tried again, Same same. It seemed that if I breathed on the monitor volume it would go into immediate louder than expected feedback - and would stop as quickly - almost like an on-off switch. Finally all I got was a weak high signal and lots of hiss. Woofer was toasted at that point.

The amp processing the signal was a Crown XLS 202 - which worked fine with replacement speakers.

So - will a pop or series of pops cause the voice coil to open or start scraping the magnet? Could pops overheat the coil? (I don't think so) Could repeated feedback (one second max) overheat the coil or cause it to open?

Lots of questions - hope I have provided enough info.

Thanks in advance,

frank

edit first song instead of first set...

Re: My first blown speaker (sigh)

Check the lead wires between the terminals to where they go into the cone, they can break most likely at the terminal connection or at the point where they go through the cone. Even if a lead is broken that's only part of your problem since the voice coil is rubbing. Cut the cone and spider loose from the frame and post a picture if it here. The monitor cutting in and out was most likely the voice coil making and breaking contact in the final moments of it's life.

Quote: said:
Lots of questions

Some answers
icon_cool.gif

http://www.williamsonic.com/TempRise/index.html

See Loudspeaker handbook By John Eargle

page 233 Chapter 9: ''Thermal Failure Modes of Loudspeakers''

( use Google Book preview )

Thanks Mike, Robert and Bennett for the links.

Mike - the tinsel leads looked to be intact - I did not remove the dust cover.

Robert - yes, I measured for DC voice coil resistance - the voice coil was open.

Bennett - I've looked at your pages in the past and the pictures - I'm guessing its time for review.

Having never done this, I'm assuming cutting out the cone and spider will have no effect on the future ability to recone the speaker (I know it will eventually be done by repair, but I did not know if there is something I should not do...)

thanks - evening project. I'll post pictures.

the voice coil was open.

I figured it was...

IMHO - Replacing a VC for $30 ( + S&H) is probably viable for a 30year old driver as a DIY; but to send off to have someone else do the work or total recone - much less so.

I have measured the deterioration/spec drift on old drivers ( operating and storage conditions can vary greatly; and a lot of things can ''attack'' drivers ).

Out of curiosity: Were the drivers in the cold long before they were powered up?

the voice coil was open.

I figured it was...

IMHO - Replacing a VC for $30 ( + S&H) is probably viable for a 30year old driver as a DIY; but to send off to have someone else do the work or total recone - much less so.

I have measured the deterioration/spec drift on old drivers ( operating and storage conditions can vary greatly; and a lot of things can ''attack'' drivers ).

Out of curiosity: Were the drivers in the cold long before they were powered up?

No. The speaker lives indoors w/small restaurant and stage. Room is always 70 degrees F or warmer (emphasis on warmer...) The outside of the cone was filthy - I don't think the grille was ever removed before. I checked the cone before attempting to clean - it was already rubbing. Inside of the cab and back of the speaker was amazingly clean - maybe a spider strand (from the 8 legged...alive variety (no sign of said spider)) or two and some extremely light dust - almost could have been new.

I dropped a note to Speaker Repair for a rough estimate - we'll see. $30 for a DIY (me with ZERO experience, but decent mechanical aptitude and attention to detail), I MAY be able to pull it off.

frank

30+ years old? I wouldn't be too hard on yourself Frank. Any driver that had lasted that long reproducing modern live music is due for death. I mean really, it's paper, glue with some metal. Something is bound to give after that long
icon_wink.gif
For EV speakers, Orange County speaker is bound to have the recone kit. I'm not sure though that they'll sell the kit without them doing the work:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/

Greg

30+ years old? I wouldn't be too hard on yourself Frank. Any driver that had lasted that long reproducing modern live music is due for death. I mean really, it's paper, glue with some metal. Something is bound to give after that long
icon_wink.gif
For EV speakers, Orange County speaker is bound to have the recone kit. I'm not sure though that they'll sell the kit without them doing the work:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/

Greg

Thanks, Greg. Just two weeks ago I had a friend sit in and he commented that he had forgotton how good they sounded, and on how they were so bulletproof. He HAD to mention bulletproof... (sigh)

Thanks, Greg. Just two weeks ago I had a friend sit in and he commented that he had forgotton how good they sounded, and on how they were so bulletproof. He HAD to mention bulletproof... (sigh)

Unfortunate statement, given that in the intervening 3 decades, Crown, QSC et al have been inventing bigger & better bullets.

M

Post your autopsy pictures, we want to see the gory details!

As for the reconing, rather you giving it try or sending it off in the mean time tape over the gap. It's going to need a good cleaning outanyway but there's no sense in having anything else get into it.

Last edited:

Post your autopsy pictures, we want to see the gory details!

As for the reconing, rather you giving it try or sending it off in the mean time tape over the gap. It's going to need a good cleaning outanyway but there's no sense in having anything else get into it.

Thanks for the tape tip, Mike.

Going under the knife in about an hour...