Name that tune! (Shure wireless mic "pop")

Todd Herrbach

Freshman
Aug 16, 2011
Orlando, FL
Greetings!

We use 6 Shure UHF-R systems together, and have had an occasional pop that I can't identify. Help and Thank You!

- It has happened just 4-5 times over a 6 month period. They usually come in pairs similar to what is heard in the audio file attached.
- It's always the same talent/person on the mic when it happens.
- At first I thought the talent was physically hitting the mic, but video has shown that he is not.
- The talent turns the transmitter on and off between uses.. and the pop happens within 20 seconds of turning it on.
- First two times it happened were with Transmitter #1 and Receiver #1
- After the second time it happened, I tuned a different transmitter (#2) to the same receiver (#1). It was fine for a while, then it happened again.
- Next, I used transmitter #2 with receiver #2. It was fine for a while, then it happened again.
- Next, I used transmitter #2 with receiver #2, but used a different console (M7CL) input. It was fine for a while, then it happened again.

- Receivers #1 & #2 are tuned to 669.325 and 651.900.
- The other 4 systems that are used together are 683.925, 672.500, 681.500, and 638.850.
- Receivers are UR4D+ / Transmitters are UR2/BETA58A

Screen shot 2013-04-30 at 10.26.01 AM.png

Audio file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14658073/Orlando Magic UR2 pop.mp3

Re: Name that tune! (Shure wireless mic "pop")

Are those the only frequencies you've used, or just for that one incident?

I'm don't know how congested your RF environments are, but I powerlock my transmitters for almost any show to keep control of my RF. If a speaker/performer turns his mic off by himself it could cause a hit depending on what else is happening on that range, and also if his transmitter is off and someone else scans for frequencies they'll see that channel as available. That means the next time he powers on your frequency might be squashed.

Have you made sure that the capsule is tightly screwed onto the UR2 body, and the contacts are still springy enough to make firm contact?

Also, check all your RF cables for crushed spots, kinks, or tight bends. RF cable can test OK with a continuity meter but still be rendered useless for RF with those kinds of faults.

I have twice had similar symptoms where the problem turned out to be a loose connector on the antenna, located inside the plastic cover on the end of the UR2. Admittedly, it would be very odd to see this on two different transmitters in your rig.

It's easy to fix:

Disclaimer: THIS CAN VOID YOUR WARRANTY IF YOU MESS IT UP, so don't mess it up, or don't try to do it if you're not mechanically inclined. :?~:-?~:???:

(1) Remove the battery cover sleeve by firmly pulling it off. It's only retained by a rubber o-ring in a groove on the body.

(2) Carefully pop off the plastic antenna cover, but don't break off the tabs. The plastic is flexible enough at room temperature, but maybe not if freezing cold. Pull it straight off, in line with the body axis, and DO NOT allow it to move radially (sideways) and damage the antenna inside. Be careful to not damage the power switch or the circuit board that it is mounted on, which extends about 1/16" into the antenna cover under the switch.

(3) Check the SMA connector that connects the cylindrical, helical antenna unit to the main circuit board. If it's not fully snug, a 1/4" wrench fits the flats. Snug is fine. Don't reef on it and strip the threads or break the solder joints or PCB traces.

(4) Reverse the above procedure to reassemble.

Last edited:

I just want to say, Todd is as knowledgeable or more so than just about anyone here. Todd, I use these units all the time and I never had that particular issue. They have revised them at some point and they have also updated the firmware so there may be real differences between the units I'm exposed to and yours which are likely only as old as the venue (pretty new). Does this always happen 20 seconds after turning on? Is it possible there is a CAP charging up and discharging? Does it continue to happen over and over? It doesn't sound like RF to me.
OTOH, if you are getting hit by a high powered radio that isn't necessarily on your frequency, I suppose it could sound like that. I just haven't had that experience. Is this particular person carrying a radio or phone of some sort? Shure had a microphonics issue at 100mW setting on the beltpack since day one but I don't think that's related since you are using the HH. Is the person holding the mic by the antenna? That can cause drop outs, and if there is something locally producing the hit, it might drop the RF low enough at the receiver to allow that to get through. Have you tried another radio receiver, rather than the shure units to see if you are getting that pop OTA?

Last edited:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Kevin, I agree it would be nice to keep the RF power locked on. Unfortunately in our situation he needs the ability to talk whenever he wants. 99% of the time this works fine.

I even set up the mic about 200 feet from the receiver on a dark day, and recorded the audio in Pro Tools for 7-8 hours. I realize it's not the most accurate test with the building free of other RF and no physical movement of the mic. The problem did not occur in those hours. :cry:

Jason, I have checked the contacts on the capsule, but I haven't investigated any other physical problems on the transmitter. I'll take a closer look. Like you said, it would be strange for this to be happening on two different systems.

Does this always happen 20 seconds after turning on?

Harry - It's been a while! Hope you are well. While it's not 20 seconds exactly, it does tend to be very soon after the transmitter is turned on.

Does it continue to happen over and over? It doesn't sound like RF to me.
My gut is that it isn't RF either. This mic channel stays open all night long with the transmitter off and is always quiet. When it happens, it usually hits 2 or maybe 3 times. Then it doesn't happen again for weeks or months.

Is this particular person carrying a radio or phone of some sort?
He carries his iPhone, but he always carries it.

Is the person holding the mic by the antenna? No Have you tried another radio receiver, rather than the shure units to see if you are getting that pop OTA?
No , he holds it correctly. I haven't tried a non-shure receiver, but with it happening so rarely, it would be hard to wait it out.

He carries his iPhone, but he always carries it.

Good catch, Harry!

Todd,

Step one in solving this problem: put your foot down and demand that he turns it off, in the most gracious and professional way that you can. I mean it. A professional completely turns off his phone when on stage, for many very good reasons.

The iPhone is a GSM phone, and GSM phones almost always cause problems when they ring, push data, receive data, or any number of other functions when they are located near audio gear, wireless or not. It's not usually a "pop" sound, but rather an easily identifiable "ditditditditditditdit" kind of sound. However it's not outside the realm of possibility in this case, where there are few other obvious causes.

Hmm, was the other console an LS9? And do you set the output on your Receiver to Mic or Line? Maybe it's a digital clip?

My gut is that it isn't RF either. This mic channel stays open all night long with the transmitter off and is always quiet.

With the transmitter off the receiver won't be seeing the squelch key that tells it to unmute. so the same interference will just be ignored.
when your transmitter is on the receiver is unmuted and will show any interference that degrades your audio signal but maybe leaves the squelch key intact (or is too quick for the receiver to react to)

I believe on some Shure units there is a way to turn off the squelch on the receiver. it may be worth trying overnight to see what you record then..

Jason