Nexo Alpha failures

Jan 10, 2011
Abingdon, MD
www.harfordsound.com
Looking for Nexo Alpha users to see if anyone knows something I don't...

We've got a small Nexo Alpha rig installed in a 700 cap rock club here in Baltimore. 2 M3's and 2 B1's flown per side, with 6 S2's under the stage. The whole rig is driven by Yamaha Tn amps, and the Nexo NX processors. The system is 2.5 years old, and sees around 5 shows a week on average. It's a loud rock club, and the system does get beat on pretty regularly. We've lost 2 HF drivers in the past week. The first one went out and I thought it was a fluke. The second one went out and now I think there's an issue somewhere. The diaphragms had some burn spots on them, but nothing crazy. Everything is set up correctly in the Nexo processors, and the rig rarely sees the limiters. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is making these drivers fail? Nexo has a reputation for having bullet proof limiting, and this is really a surprise to all of us to see HF driver failing.

Thanks!
Evan

Re: Nexo Alpha failures

We've got a small Nexo Alpha rig installed in a 700 cap rock club here in Baltimore. 2 M3's and 2 B1's flown per side, with 6 S2's under the stage. The whole rig is driven by Yamaha Tn amps, and the Nexo NX processors. The system is 2.5 years old, and sees around 5 shows a week on average. It's a loud rock club, and the system does get beat on pretty regularly. We've lost 2 HF drivers in the past week. The first one went out and I thought it was a fluke. The second one went out and now I think there's an issue somewhere. The diaphragms had some burn spots on them, but nothing crazy. Everything is set up correctly in the Nexo processors, and the rig rarely sees the limiters. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is making these drivers fail? Nexo has a reputation for having bullet proof limiting, and this is really a surprise to all of us to see HF driver failing.

Thanks!
Evan

Could be trash in the gap, or the pole piece has shifted and is rubbing.

Thanks!
Evan

Evan,

Are the NX processors seeing the correct amp gain that the processor and amp are set to?

I would connect with your dealer who sold and installed the system and let them know the issues.

This is not normal and service should be able to help
I have found them to be very helpful in correcting the problem and getting me parts fast.

I have only had a few bad drivers 6 years
Some were manf. problems
2 were cracked magnets.
None were blown drivers from my amps or processing mis haps

I have seen this happen with others however and amps/processing not setup correctly

db

. The diaphragms had some burn spots on them, but nothing crazy.

It only takes a very small burn spot to kill a HF driver.

The ususal suspects are as Tim said-trash int he gap- or a sharp spike that would cause the diaphram to "fuse" quickly.

A short high level spike can cause the failure-even when the coil shows no heating/burning.

Thanks!
Evan

I don't think I have been in there since that rig was installed. I think my last show was one of those local band nights, and the "A" house crew was off that night. I remember them having just gotten the M7 but don't remember the Nexo.

One thing that popped into my mind is: Are the two drivers that went on the same side of the rig or opposite sides? Did they share the same processing/amp channels etc.? Are they on the side that is clearer from FOH?

Jay,
If you mixed on the M7, then you mixed on the alpha rig. Everything was installed at the same time.

The driver failures have been on opposite sides. First the left side, then the right side. There is a different processor for each side of the PA. Both failed within a week. I'm going in next week to look through all of the processor settings, but I'm 99% sure everything is set up correctly in there. Again, the rig rarely sees limit(aside from the lows and subs). The MF/HF have plenty of gas for most acts in this room.

Evan

x3 on checking the gap. Had a failure on one of the PS15 we use regularily last fall and checked every thing in the chain and lo and behold, cleaned the gap meticulously and came up with several small metal flakes (first time the boxes were ever opened up, the company had them since new. Never really beaten on. Was an odd failure to say the least).

That shows how good my memory for where I have been is. I still have a mental picture of large traps stacked on the stage wings.

I think it is telling that the two failures were on opposite sides with separate processing. If something changed due to "operator issues", it must have been consistantly changed, otherwise I would be guessing it was something about the boxes themselves.

Since the room is smoke/haze free, I wonder if any other type of atmospheric changes such as spraying paint, insecticides, cleaners, etc. may have occured recently.