Nexo Vs L'Acoustics help

Tom Harrison

Jun 17, 2018
Phoenix
Hi everybody
I'm a newly registered member but have been following the forum for a while. I need a pair of speakers and a pair of subs for small live and corporate event. Mainly for music playback and vocal with acoustics or soundtrack. Will be playing around 100dB or less so overall SPL doesn't matter. Weight and costs are also not a factor as we're not going to expand this system. The main criteria is sound quality and nothing else, must have liquid smooth and warm midrange for vocal and smooth high end. I'd like to hear your experience/opinion before I attempt to demo these. A lot of local distributors don't carry both brands. So here it is:

Nexo PS10R2 + LS600 + the brand new/refreshed amp NXAMP4X2MK2 (now 1200 watts 8 ohms instead of 1000 in the older model)
Vs
L'Acoustics X12 + SB18 + LA-4X amp

They're different sizes and it's not going to be a fair fight but I'm looking for that haunting realism, open, and smooth sound. Can Nexo come close to the coherent coaxial design? I can get either systems for about the same price zone so sound quality is the only thing being considered here. Thanks!

I can 2nd Rob's advice on Fulcrum Acoustic. You can look at the FA series but also the TQ install comes to mind Specially a combination of the CCX12 passive cardioid/CS-CSP passive cardioid subwoofers.....This will reduce low back spil by about 9 to 10db....
You will need a Amp/processor combination able of FIR processing.....All presets for the speakers can be downloaded at the Fulcrum Acoustic Web site
Gotta say i'm kind of biased: I'm doing the distribution for Fulcrum Acoustic in the Netherlands

The Fulcrum dual 12" (FA22AC, DX12, etc) are great. Also look at the T24N from TW Audio.

In my experience, a good 3 way sounds smoother over a wider frequency range than a 2 way. This doesn't mean a 2 way speaker sounds bad, but that each has a portion of the overall spectrum that is less articulate. I've yet to hear a 2 way box from anyone and thought, "The need for 3 way has ended." This includes the d&b 24S, L'Acoustics XT line, T24N, FA22AC, etc.

If sonic accuracy is what you're after and size, weight, and some delay aren't issues - something like the Danley SH96HO and some good FIR processing May be worth a look.

Don't be afraid to mix and match subs and tops if you're looking for great bass and have experience with not only delay but crossover slopes and types and all-pass filters. A good horn loaded sub will give accuracy at the expense of size and weight.

I heard Fulcrum costs a bit less than LAcoustics. Do you think they sound as good as LAcoustics or better? How so?

As i said before: I'm biased.
For the rest of it: I like Fulcrum and would choose there speakers over just about any brand available (and i did choose Fulcrum over others who shall remain nameless).

The only advise i can give: ask a dealer near you for a Demo and if possible compare the brands/models next to each other and A/B them?
also do not only listen onax but also various ofax positions. Some systems sound very good onax but are kind of challenging on the of axis positions (specially in array's ;-) ) and every system is as good as the guy operating on it....
Also what i like may be something you do not like so it's better to listen for your self and make up your own mind

I'm still search for a system. The water is quite muddy at this level. I'm looking at L'acoustics X12, Meyer UPJ-1P,Fulcrum FA22AC. To my surprise, Fulcrum is the most expensive of them 3! Now we're talking about $5-6K per cabinet. L'acoustics are not expensive at all with aggressive discounts from dealers. I don't know if Fulcrum sounds better than the other 2 to justify the cost (over $1000 difference). I don't know. I'm stilling searching and debating. Another option is Fulcrum DX1295 with Linea Research 44M10 amp. I heard that's even better than the FA22AC with the Powersoft module in the back. I'm not looking to save a few bucks, I'm just saying. I'm looking for the best sound I can afford and of course this is tough to do. Anybody that have heard X12 vs Fulcrum and can offer some perspectives let me know.

Tom,
Where are located? I am sure a dealer or rep would be happy to demo the system for you.
i am biased as well. I own and use quite a few Fulcrum products.

Reactions: Timo Beckman