No frills AC3/DTS decoder for home theater?

Phil Graham

Honorary PhD
Mar 10, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Hey all,

New TV has the ability to strip the raw digital audio stream off HDMI inputs and output them as SPDIF over coaxial audio output (i.e. rca). Does anyone make a simple AC3/DTS decoder with discrete RCA outs? Trying to decide between something like this and a Craigslist receiver.Thanks!

Re: No frills AC3/DTS decoder for home theater?

Hey all,

New TV has the ability to strip the raw digital audio stream off HDMI inputs and output them as SPDIF over coaxial audio output (i.e. rca). Does anyone make a simple AC3/DTS decoder with discrete RCA outs? Trying to decide between something like this and a Craigslist receiver.Thanks!

So Phil,

Just out of curiosity, what will be downstream from this 5.1 RCA output from the decoder? Just wondering what you are using to manage the crossover and other processing between the sub(s) and mains? I only mention it because depending on what you already have in place and what you want to do, I have been very pleased with the Audyssey processing in my Denon receiver. Obviously you have the skills to do a nicer job applying DSP to your speakers/room than some autocorrection EQ algorithm in a consumer grade home theater receiver is capable of, but it does a pretty good job and the simplicity is nice if you don't already have everything else in place.

Good luck,
Loreh

Good luck,
Loren

I have one of those cheap chinese decoders. If you want it ill give it to you, but it needs a dead quiet power supply as the input filtering is nonexistent.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL