Not bad for a "DJ" ...

Ian Coughlin

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
New York
www.dtgentertainment.com
After much hard work and following these forums I fell comfortable posting a couple highlight photos of this years "formal and prom season" (about 27 jobs in a 3 week span! x(~:dead: ). As you know im not "the DJ" (my partner is) so i take pride in my audio and lighting.

Pic 1: 16x16x10h box with 8 Elation DS300Pro's, 4 Diversitronics DK-2000s, 2 Antari Snow machines, SRX715s/718s center clustered on an IT9000HD

Pic 3: four "sticks" with Elation DS300Pro's, QSC KW122's/181's center clustered.

Pic 4: four two "sticks" with Elation DS250Pro's and Atomic 3000DMX, VRX932's on an IT9000HD, four EM215s on a Power soft K8.

Pic 5: Hog 3PC with playback and programming wings :twisted:

Sorry for the iPhone quality photos (which actually aren't that bad). Please, feel free to critique.

-Ian

Attachments

• IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0705.jpg
    IMG_0705.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 16
Re: Not bad for a "DJ" ...

Please, feel free to critique.

-Ian

Looks a little dark! (Or am I getting old....) I might have thrown some saddle sandbags on the tripods with the VRX and some fluorescent gaff on the tripod legs for safety's sake (or just used a pair of L11's or similar and a few sticks of truss to keep everything off the ground and tripod free).

Looks good though. There is definitely a sweet spot in terms of ROI at that level - resist the temptation to grow and let that gear make some money for you.

Marlow,

Thanks! I feel everything you said is spot on. The darkness of the photos is from the iPhone, it must not have a low enough LUX to pick up the ambient lighting in the room. The rooms did feel brighter than what they looked in the photo. Other than that I would have liked to bring in some color kinetics but the clients budget didn't facilitate that :frown:

I didn't think about putting the fluorescent gaff on the legs, but stability was a concern of mine as soon as i put those speakers up. I was watching them like a hawk that night, since then I have purchased sandbags. Ultimately I would love to fly that rig, but would need L16's or similar for use with the rest of the rig (not pictured) and wasn't in the finances this "season".

Funny you mention the ROI because I've been getting this urge to grow bigger and have a bad habit of buying new toys :twisted: although I have been managing this urge thus far.

Very cool, Tim. Thanks for the link.

For those who haven't used these, be careful putting them on the truss. Any oil left from motor chains makes them nasty and any nicks or spurs from clamps make runs in them that quickly make them unusable (both are very visible with the light shiny through). If you're using your own truss which is free of such defects then it's not an issue but it's still something to be aware of.

With regards to the ambient lighting, I was pretty sure it was the camera that made it so dark. Operating a small venue over the years I've struggled with finding the balance to encourage dancing and other youthful 'behavior'. The solution in the venue has been black framed artwork against a black curtain with a narrow spot. The white matting and colorful artwork reflects enough light to keep it safe without actually shining light at people. Uplighting a wall or truss has a similar effect.

For those who haven't used these, be careful putting them on the truss. Any oil left from motor chains makes them nasty and any nicks or spurs from clamps make runs in them that quickly make them unusable (both are very visible with the light shiny through). If you're using your own truss which is free of such defects then it's not an issue but it's still something to be aware of.

Just for this reason, I factor the cost of the scrim into the price for the client. I treat them as a one time use, as you can't always rely upon your employees washing their hands after strike to take them off (just as an example). They don't wash well either.

After much hard work and following these forums I fell comfortable posting a couple highlight photos of this years "formal and prom season" (about 27 jobs in a 3 week span! x(~:dead: ). As you know im not "the DJ" (my partner is) so i take pride in my audio and lighting.

Pic 1: 16x16x10h box with 8 Elation DS300Pro's, 4 Diversitronics DK-2000s, 2 Antari Snow machines, SRX715s/718s center clustered on an IT9000HD

Pic 3: four "sticks" with Elation DS300Pro's, QSC KW122's/181's center clustered.

Pic 4: four two "sticks" with Elation DS250Pro's and Atomic 3000DMX, VRX932's on an IT9000HD, four EM215s on a Power soft K8.

Sorry for the iPhone quality photos (which actually aren't that bad). Please, feel free to critique.

-Ian

-Ian
I know this post is old, but I am looking for some Diversitronics DK-2000 Strobe and noticed you were using them here. I don't suppose you would still have them and be willing to part with any of them?

Cheers!