Overseas job

karel.will

Freshman
Jan 13, 2011
Bruges, Belgium
Hi,

So I got a call yesterday from a band manager, asking me if I would be interested to go on a one off job.
It's a festival in China... We would be flying out on a thursday, and be back on sunday or monday. Just one gig, at a festival.
I have worked for this band twice: this summer, I was system tech at a festival, and he called to ask if I could mix his band. "Of course, I'm the system tech, if you don't bring a soundperson, I'll mix your band" I replied. Then he asked me to mix the same band a couple of weeks later at another festival close by. So I did that as well. He kept telling me that they were talking about going on a world tour as a support band, and they might need my services in the future.
Later I learned they did go on that tour, so I sent him a mail congratulating them, and offering my services if needed, but I never heard from them again, until yesterday.
Apparently they do have a regular BE, but he can't make it to this festival. (Maybe he doesn't want to?) I have never travelled with a band before, and certainly not with a band that could afford traveling that far just for a one off...
This could be a "we need someone who wants to do this jetlag job on the cheap" thing, but it could also be a chance to get with an international touring band...

He promised to put all the details in an e-mail this weekend, and then call me back next week.
He feels really legit, and I like the band. I'm just being cautious here... :)

So here's my question: What should I expect in terms of fees for this job? What would be a fair deal?
I already have some jobs in that weekend, so I would expect to get at least what I was going to be paid for those jobs. But what would be considered standard rates? What about travel days? Per diems? Tickets and visas? Anything else I should know about?

BTW: band is Swedish, I'm from Belgium (while it lasts... :-( ).

All tips are welcome...

Thanks!

Karel 'Charlie' Will

Re: Overseas job

So here's my question:

What should I expect in terms of fees for this job?

What would be a fair deal?

I already have some jobs in that weekend, so I would expect to get at least what I was going to be paid for those jobs. But what would be considered standard rates?
What about travel days?

for me a "one off" type of show like that i charge a single fee for the whole job. basically the average touring foh persons weekly wage + is in the ball park for a one off fly show like that flying around the world getting no sleep for 4 days and rocking for 1 hour.

the art of asking for and getting a massive wage is a very important skill to develop, if you ask for to much you will not get the gig (most of the time) and if you ask for to little you may not get the gig or you may get underpaid.

each band has their own priorities which dictate how much they want to invest in their foh mix.

you may ask what the average wage is. this is not really public information but 1000 to 6000 are average weekly fees. if you make more than that you are really lucky if you make less try to develop your deal making skills.

Per diems?

40 to 80 euros would be a typical per diem rate. but many times like i said i just charge one set fee for the whole job so pd's dont come into play all of the time.

Tickets and visas?
band or promoter pays all costs including your ground transportation

Anything else I should know about?

china is amazing.

BTW: band is Swedish, I'm from Belgium (while it lasts... :-( ).

All tips are welcome...

Thanks!

Karel 'Charlie' Will