Painters! You? Looking for Advice.

Kip Conner

Junior
Mar 13, 2011
Athens, GA
I recently built some small risers boxes out of 7 ply wood and need to paint them black for obvious reasons. I've never really done any painting before and am looking for some tips. These boxes are basically riders for extraneous small items that go to the event such as cables, small cases, too bag- etc. Their intended use to put underneath the roadcase that a pair of mains travel in so that the case can sit a top of the riser/box getting the horn above head height and thus eliminating speaker trees. These boxes will sit on the floor, whatever that might be. Last night it was concrete, but most nights would be carpet.

So... I want them black. Do you guys recommend bothering with primer, painting and sealing? I really hate to paint them sine they look so good, but I would be covering them with fabric 99% anyways to make them black.

What do you think?

Re: Painters! You? Looking for Advice.

Brush or spray can? I have some spacers I use for elevation and I went the spray can route. No clean up and touch up is a breeze. Looking back I would probably use a primer coat as that wood's going to soak up quite a bit of paint in the first coat. And no budget paint. Tried that on an earlier version and it's wasted effort. Rustoleum work very well. One more thing,the flat black looks better than the gloss

I'd be OK with brushing them, the spray can never really looks as good as my OCD allows.

Oh, and I think that taking them over to the Line-X guy is a little over the top! (but not much!)

Get some Duratex and texture paint them. (Buy the texture roller as well)
The stuff goes on easy, cleans up w/water and looks good.
(wear clothes that can forever have black speckles on them when painting though)

Attachments

• SRX-722 Booster seats 2-resize.jpg
    SRX-722 Booster seats 2-resize.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 0

I've built a few cases/trunks and I just painted them flat black using the premixed can from the store. Every so often, I'll touch them up.

Now if they are going to be seen by people during the show, then I would paint them to match the cabinets.

The Duratex option looks great, i'm wondering how far a gallon will go if i double coat as recommended? I want to cover my four USW-1's as well since they are getting to look rough from the u-haul floors.

It really is more about the protection than the look- all cases get covered by black fabric so you don't see them.

The Duratex option looks great, i'm wondering how far a gallon will go if i double coat as recommended? I want to cover my four USW-1's as well since they are getting to look rough from the u-haul floors.

It really is more about the protection than the look- all cases get covered by black fabric so you don't see them.
Coverage depends on how much texture you use, I thin the Duratex down and roller apply so the texture is pretty fine (kind of orange peel) and it seems to be about the same coverage as normal house paint.

Protection seems a bit better than the Behr house paint I was using, but is not as good as box liner.